Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Crunchy wonton cup with a creamy, flavorful buffalo chicken dip on the inside – take your football season gatherings to the next level with these Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups.
These Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups will be the next big hit at your football parties, Friendsgiving, and family gatherings.
Have you ever been invited to a party and spent too long googling recipe ideas for potlucks? I’ve got you covered!
In any event, you can make the chicken dip the night before and then bake them the day of your party.
Why I love these Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Without a doubt, there are several reasons to love these mouth-watering appetizers:
- Healthy – super simple and pair well with a Greek yoghurt dip
- Flavorful – spicy, cheesy, creamy, and salty
- Bite-size – more fun than the traditional chip and dip
- Prep-ahead recipe – you can make the chicken dip the night before and bake them the day of your party
What to do with leftover shredded chicken?
In case you make extra shredded chicken, there are a couple of things you can do with any leftovers:
- Make sweet potato sliders
- Add it to your next sandwich or panini
- Add it as the protein to your next salad
- Make tortilla or shredded lettuce tacos
- Add it to pastas and soup!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
In brief, you only really need 8 ingredients for this delicious wonton recipe:
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Cream cheese, room temp or softened
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Blue cheese, crumble
Blue cheese, crumbled
Green onion, chopped for garnish
How to make Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
The Easiest Way to Make Shredded Chicken
First, add ¼ cup water to the bottom of an instant pot.
Then place a piece of chicken breast or chicken thigh in. Specifically, I like seasoning the chicken with 2 tsp buffalo seasoning. However, if you can’t find buffalo seasoning, you can also use salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Next, cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Finally, release the pressure and shred the chicken with 2 forks or a hand blender.
Check out other ways to make the best-shredded buffalo chicken here.
Additionally, depending on your dietary preferences checkout my Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip.
How to Make Shredded Chicken Dip
First, preheat the oven to 350F.
Then, drain the chicken from excess water.
After, mix the chicken with the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and buffalo sauce in a bowl and set aside.
How to Make Wonton Cups
First, grease the wonton wrappers on one side. Specifically, I lay them on a baking pan and brush the oil on top.
Then, place the wonton wrappers in a muffin tin. In this case, you can press the sides with your fingers to make a lotus flower shape.
Next, bake the wrappers empty for 5 minutes.
After that, add 1 – 1.5 tbsp buffalo chicken dip in each wonton. Accordingly, spread the dip evenly by pressing gently.
Furthermore, sprinkle some more cheddar cheese on top.
Finally, bake for another 12 – 13 minutes.
Lastly, sprinkle the wonton cups with crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onion for garnish. Serve with ranch dressing or enjoy as is!
Frequently Asked Questions About Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Can you use egg roll wrappers for wontons?
In theory, you should be able to use egg roll wrappers! Generally, they are made of the same egg-based dough. However, wonton wrappers are often smaller, so you may need to do some cutting depending on your muffin tin size.
Is Spring roll pastry the same as wonton wrappers?
Spring roll wrappers do not contain eggs and are thinner than wonton or egg roll wrappers. For that reason, I prefer wonton wrappers. However, if you don’t eat egg or maybe don’t have access to wonton wrappers, spring roll pastry is a good alternative.
Can I substitute tortillas for wonton wrappers?
Personally, I prefer wonton wrappers. However, at the end of the day, a tortilla will be reminiscent of the traditional chip and dip combo. Thus, you can give it a shot and keep an eye on the base to adjust cooking times.
How long is shredded chicken good for?
Generally, I recommend eating your shredded chicken within 3-4 days.
Tips for the best Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
In recipe testing these wonton cups, there are a couple tips I want to share with you:
- Use a mini muffin pan for the perfect wonton cup shape. However, don’t worry if you don’t have a mini one! A regular muffin pan can also achieve the same “mini tart” look.
- Don’t forget to pre-bake the wonton cup to make sure it’s CRISPY!
- Season the chicken before cooking to get the max flavor.
- Storing the chicken dip in the fridge overnight actually makes the wonton cups even more flavorful.
- If you’re keto, don’t forget we also have a buffalo chicken dip recipe alternative for you
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Serve this a on large plate to family and friends with Greek yogurt and your favorite seasonings! Would also taste amazing with some creamy ranch.
Additionally, serve with any of the finger foods listed below!
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Generally, you can store these wonton cups in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I like to reheat them for a few minutes in an air fryer or oven.
What other appetizers would you like to see this season? Leave a comment below!
Other finger foods to cook up
Get the recipe:Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Buffalo chicken dip
- 2 oz cream cheese, room temp or softened
- 2 oz Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce of your choice, more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup chicken shredded, about 3/4- 1 lb
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese + more for toppings
- 2 – 3 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 36 wonton wrappers
- Oil for greasing
- Crumbled blue cheese for garnish
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Add ¼ cup water to the bottom of an instant pot.
- Place a piece of chicken breast or chicken thigh in. Seasoning the chicken with 2 tsp buffalo seasoning. If you can’t find buffalo seasoning, you can also use salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure and shred the chicken with 2 forks or a hand blender.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Drain the chicken from excess, water.
- Mix the chicken with the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and buffalo sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Grease the wonton wrappers on one side. Lay them on a baking pan and brush the oil on top.
- Place the wonton wrappers in a muffin tin. You can press the sides with your fingers to make a lotus flower shape.
- Bake the wrappers empty for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 – 1.5 tbsp buffalo chicken dip in each wonton. Spread the dip evenly by pressing gently.
- Sprinkle some more cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for another 12 – 13 minutes.
- Sprinkle the wonton cups with crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onion for garnish. Serve with ranch dressing or enjoy as is!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.