Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
This flavorful, tender, and juicy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken recipe is the perfect crowd pleaser and easy to make. this BBQ pulled chicken recipe is so delicious, you won’t believe it is Whole30, Paleo, and Keto friendly as well.
This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is a game changer! It is the perfect recipe for meal prepping and serving the whole family.
Is there anything better than having dinner on the table in 20 minutes?
This easy and flavorful healthy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken recipe has been my favorite for a while and you just have to try it.
I always make a big batch for meal prep and it is the perfect ready to serve healthy dinner to enjoy during the week.
There are so many ways you can variate instant pot chicken recipes, just depending on what seasoning you are using. My Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is the perfect game day recipe for example, and this Chicken Masala is a great family dinner recipe.
Why I love Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Since I discovered the Instant pot my life has changed! It’s such an easy and fast way to cook and some days it feels like I never want to use any other cooking method ever again.
All you do is putting all ingredients in the Instant Pot, pushing play, waiting for 15 minutes, and then eat.
Could it be any easier!?
It’s also a really healthy way to cook since you don’t have to fry or saturate in any oil or butter. For this reason, this recipe is gluten-free, Whole30 approved, keto, and Paleo-friendly as well.
The chicken gets seriously juicy when being cooked in a pressure cooker! It’s because all the moisture from the chicken has nowhere to go and therefore stays in the meat.
It’s so easy to variate the flavoring! Right now, this is my favorite spice blend, but you can easily switch it up and add more spice depending on what you have at home or your preference.
Lastly, the amount of cleaning up is minimal! It’s basically just the instant pot itself that needs to be cleaned.
This blogpost contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and take action, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. However, I only recommend products I use and absolutely love!
This is the Instant Pot I use and love
Ingredients for my Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken
To make this Whole30 Pulled Chicken I prefer to use both boneless chicken breast and boneless chicken thighs for the best texture and flavor.
I think chicken breast has the best texture when you make pulled chicken.
The chicken thighs dark meat has more fat, which is so important to bring out the flavors. It will also contribute to a more juicy chicken.
I’m also adding a little bit of chicken broth, for extra flavor and juiciness. You could also use bone broth or chicken stock, or filtered water. However, then you might have to adjust the amount of salt.
Spice Blend for the best BBQ Chicken
I make my own spice blend for this healthy and so flavorful Instant Pot BBQ Chicken. Making your own spice mix is so easy and you can change it up depending on your favorite spices.
If you buy a BBQ spice blend make sure to check the ingredients. Often they are full of sugar and preservatives.
For my delicious Instant Pot BBQ Chicken spice blend you need:
- Smoked Paprika
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
The nutmeg is optional, but I love the earthy and floral notes it adds. All you need is a tiny pinch.
How to make BBQ Chicken in an Instant Pot
This Paleo BBQ Chicken is so easy to make! Just a few simple steps and you will have dinner ready in 30 minutes or less.
First, add broth to an Instant Pot.
Then, place chicken breast and chicken thighs in the broth. It’s Important to add the broth first to prevent the chicken from sticking to the Instant Pot.
In a small dish, mix together all the spices for the BBQ seasoning using a fork or a spoon.
Then, add the BBQ chicken seasoning on top of the chicken. The spice mix should cover the chicken completely.
If you have time, close the lid to the Instant Pot and let the chicken marinate for 30 – 40 minutes before cooking.
Marinating the chicken before cooking will intensify the flavor, but it is optional. The BBQ pulled chicken will be flavorful and delicious either way.
Then, start the Instant Pot on high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
Gently release the pressure.
Lastly, use a hand mixer or two forks to shred the tender chicken.
Optional: If you want, add your favorite BBQ sauce to the pulled chicken and mix again.
How to Serve this Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
I love how versatile this pulled chicken is! Only your imagination is the limit.
And that is also why this recipe is the ultimate healthy meal prep recipe! You can make any kind of meal with it.
Make the best BBQ chicken salad with all your favorite salad ingredients. It is the perfect Whole30 and Keto Option.
Additionally, you can serve this BBQ Pulled Chicken with Lettuce wrap for another great Keto Option.
For a festive Whole30 dinner serve the Instant Pot BBQ chicken between two sweet potato buns with lettuce, tomato, and pickled red onion.
This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is the perfect protein for Taco Tuesday! Or add it to a quesadilla.
Make BBQ Chicken Sliders to your next outdoor gathering with friends and family.
You could also serve the Crockpot barbecue Chicken as it is with some delicious sides like:
As you see, the options are endless!
Tips to make the best BBQ Chicken
- Season generously!
- A mix of chicken breast and chicken thighs for the best texture and flavor.
- If you prefer less juice, use the saute function on the instant pot for a few minutes to cook off the liquid to your liking.
- If you want to add extra flavor, add your favorite BBQ sauce to the pulled chicken and mix again.
Now to the most fun and exciting part. Scroll down to the recipe and get cooking. Dinner will be ready soon!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You might also like these healthy Instant Pot recipes:
1. Instant pot buffalo chicken
2. Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
3. 20 healthy 4th of July recipes
4. Instant Pot whole30 Cashew Chicken
Get the recipe:Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- 1 – 1.5 lb chicken thighs
- 1 lb chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 – 1.5 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- A pinch of nutmeg, optional
- Add broth to an Instant Pot.
- Place chicken breast and chicken thighs in the broth. It’s Important to add the broth first to prevent the chicken from sticking to the Instant Pot.
- In a small dish, mix together all the spices for the BBQ spice blend using a fork or a spoon.
- Add the spice blend on top of the chicken. The spice mix should cover the chicken completely.
- For the best result, close the lid to the Instant Pot and let the chicken marinate for 30 – 40 minutes before cooking (Omit if you are short on time).
- Seal the lid, cook at high pressure for 13 -15 minutes.
- Gently release the pressure.
- Use a hand mixer or two forks to shred the chicken.
- (Optional) Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
- Season generously
- A mix of chicken breast and chicken thighs for the best texture, a mix of lean protein and fat.
- If you prefer less juice, once the chicken is done cooking. Open the lid, use the saute function on the instant pot for a few minutes to cook off the liquid to your liking.
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce to the pulled chicken and mix again.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.