This easy and healthy crispy air fryer tofu is golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside. This is The perfect protein-rich vegan recipe that can be served as a side dish, or with salad, rice, soups, and more.
This is the most flavorful and easy Crispy Air Fryer Tofu recipe ever and it can be made in just 20 minutes.
Growing up in China, Tofu has always been one of my favorite plant-based protein options. And there are so many ways you can enjoy it.
Besides this air fry tofu, I also love my dad’s famous Chinese Garlic Tofu Stir Fry!
Additionally, tofu is so diverse. You can bake it, fry it, scramble it, and more.
There are so many varieties of tofu that allow for different textures so it’s easy to find a way to incorporate some extra protein into virtually any dish.
These are everything from silken tofu, which has a beautiful creamy texture, to the extra firm variety that is great for recipes like this one.
I highly encourage you to give tofu a try if you’ve never had it before.
This blog post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and take action, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. However, I only recommend products I use and absolutely love!
Why I Love Air Fryer Tofu
I love using tofu for my vegan and vegetarian recipes because it is such a great source of protein and it soaks up flavors really well.
I’ve frequently used tofu in stir fry recipes, but using the air fryer to cook tofu is one of my favorite cooking methods.
It’s because it gives the tofu a perfectly crispy outside while still being soft and pillowy on the inside.
Air frying tofu is also one of the best methods to use if you are planning to make the tofu an on-the-go snack, since there’s very little oil used it isn’t very messy.
Ingredients Needed for Healthy crispy Tofu
This Crispy Air Fryer Tofu recipe is super simple and you only need 5 ingredients to make it.
- A block of extra firm tofu – the extra firm tofu has most of its liquid already squeezed out of it. Less moisture means crispier tofu.
- Soy Sauce – adds a salty umami flavor to the tofu. You can also use tamari (gluten-free version of soy) or coconut aminos.
- Sesame oil – you only need a little bit but it helps make the tofu crispy and the flavor is so good.
- Vinegar – vinegar helps cut the saltiness of the soy sauce and really balances the flavors.
- Salt – to taste. Keep in mind that the soy sauce is salty so take that into consideration when adding salt to the marinade.
How to Make Healthy Air Fryer Tofu
First, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, and salt. Garlic also works well with this marinade so feel free to mince up some fresh garlic and toss it in there.
The longer you let your tofu marinate the better, however, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Next, fry the tofu in the air fryer at 400 F for 18 – 20 minutes.
That’s it! That’s how you make super Crispy Air Fryer Tofu.
Super easy, right?
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Tofu
- Use the firmest tofu that you can find. Firmer tofu has less water content and will give you a crispier finish.
- Press your tofu before marinating and frying. Drain the tofu by wrapping a paper towel around it and place a little weight (not too heavy) on top to let the water slowly drain out (about 30 minutes).
- Do not crowd the air fryer. Make sure not to overlap the tofu or overcrowd the fryer so that there’s room for the hot air to circulate around the tofu evenly.
- Toss the tofu halfway through cooking to help make sure it cooks evenly.
How to Serve this delicious Tofu
This tofu recipe is great for adding to salads, buddha bowls, power bowls, with rice or quino. The possibilities are endless.
It’s a great way to add protein to any dish to make a healthy, balanced meal.
Air fryer tofu also makes a great snack to have on the go, or you could even add it to sandwiches or wraps for added crunch and flavor too.
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
Other Vegan Recipes You May Like:
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt to taste *
- 1 clove of garlic minced (optional)
- Remove the tofu from the container and drain it. Wrap it in paper towel and press the tofu by placing a frying pan on top to allow excess moisture to drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, sesame oil, vinegar, minced garlic (if using any) and salt.
- Slice the tofu into cubes and toss in the marinade. Fully cover the tofu with the marinade and let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F
- Place the marinated tofu in the air fryer basket without overcrowding them.
- Air fry for 15 -17 minutes or until golden and crispy, toss halfway through.
* Coconut aminos is salty itself. Add additional salt as preferred. (I didn't need any additional salt for my own taste)
* You can also use soy sauce in replacement of coconut aminos.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.