Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
These healthy blueberry cornbread muffins are soft and moist. Sweet corn paired with juicy blueberries , lightly sweetened with honey, this is the perfect cornnbread muffin recipe for the summer. And it is gluten-free, dairy-free and so easy to make.
These Blueberry Cornbread Muffins are the perfect summer twist on my favorite homemade cornbread recipe – Honey Jalapeño Cornbread.
In each bite, you will get moist and fluffy cornbread, crunchy sweet corn, and juicy blueberries.
Doesn’t it sound like a summer dream!?
They are the perfect kid friendly recipe for breakfast, snack, or any time during the day.
What’s not to love about baking with blueberries, especially during the summer.
These Healthy Blueberry Scones are definitely a favorite of mine, and this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake is one of Tom’s favorite desserts.
Now, let’s get to these gluten-free cornbread muffins that you will love even more!
Are these Blueberry Cornbread Muffins Healthy?
This healthy cornbread is made with simple, whole-food ingredients that are full of fiber and nutrients, which makes this a great and healthy snack or dessert.
There is no refined sugar in this recipe.
This recipe is lightly sweetened by honey. Additionally, both corn and blueberries are naturally sweet as well.
Corn flour is naturally gluten-free and the texture is just the best.
When mixed with another flour, you will get a fluffy and slightly crumbly texture, perfect for these corn muffins.
I used gluten-free baking flour in this recipe. If you don’t have any dietary restrictions, you can also use whole wheat flour or regular all-purpose flour with a 1:1 substitution ratio.
Ingredients for Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
My Blueberry Cornbread Muffins are made with only wholesome and real ingredients. Best thing is, you probably already have most of them in your kitchen.
The finer ground flour you use, the less crumbly and moister the muffins get.
You can also use all-purpose flour with a 1:1 ratio.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Gives volume to the bread and helps lighten the texture.
To balance the sweetness and bring out all the delicious flavors.
Before mixing all ingredients, make sure your eggs have reached room temperature. For a vegan option, use flax eggs.
Full fat milk, oat milk, or nut milk, it’s your choice.
I have tested both vegan butter and regular butter which both work great in this recipe. But you could also try ghee or coconut oil.
To give these muffins a little extra sweetness I love adding some honey. Maple syrup does the trick as well.
Sweet and crunch and adds amazing texture. You can also use fresh corn here.
Fresh blueberries are the easiest to work with. If you would like to use frozen blueberries, make sure they are thawed and drained before using them.
How to make Gluten-free Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
This easy homemade cornbread recipe is made in just a few simple steps.
First, rinse and drain the canned corn and the blueberries.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the corn flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Now, in a separate bowl, combine cooled melted butter or melted coconut oil with room temperature eggs and room temperature milk. Add the honey as well.
Then, coat the blueberries with 1 tsp flour. (This step is optional, but it will prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom.)
Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a spatula. Mix to an even batter, but do not over mix.
Lastly, gently fold in the blueberries and the corn.
Now, line a muffin pan and fill it close to the top with the blueberry cornbread batter.
Bake 15 minutes and serve with extra honey or butter on top.
These blueberry cornbread muffins are the best when they are still warm.
Tips on making the best Blueberry Cornbread
1. Always use room temperature eggs!
There are many reasons behind why baking with room temperature ingredients. For example, the cold eggs could harden the melted butter. This is the same reason your milk should also be at room temperature.
2. Measure liquid with the liquid measuring glass.
3. Coat blueberries with 1 tsp gluten-free baking flour.
This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom. However, since the batter is fairly thick, they shouldn’t sink too much without the flour. But I coat them just to make sure they distribute evenly.
4. Make sure the oven is at the correct temperature.
I use an oven thermometer to make sure my oven is actually at the right temperature.
Substitution For this blueberry Cornbread muffinn recipe
There are many ways to adjust this recipe to your liking. Here are some suggestions on how to make these gluten-free cornbread muffins vegan for example.
- Honey – maple syrup, agave syrup, or any of your favorite liquid sweeteners.
- Gluten-free baking four – regular all-purpose flour.
- Butter – vegan butter, coconut oil, ghee
- Milk – oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk
- Eggs – flax eggs
How to serve Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
These muffins works both for breakfast, snacks or dinner!
I love to warm my healthy muffins in the microwave for 10 seconds and then drizzle some honey on top and adding butter!
For me, this is everything!
If you are feeling a little bit more adventurous, serve these blueberry cornbread muffins as you would with traditional cornbread, with chili, or as a side with some BBQ.
How to store my gluten-free cornbread muffins
You can store these muffins on the kitchen counter covered with a kitchen towel for 1 – 2 days.
They will last for 5 – 6 days in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Or you can keep them in an air-tight container in the freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw, microwave for 20 – 30 seconds or until desired temperature.
Now make these delicious, fluffy, and flavorful Blueberry Cornbread Muffins, and let me know how it went!
Then, leave a comment below!
I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You May Love these Gluten-Free Muffin Recipes:
1. Healthy Zucchini Banana Muffins
2. Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
3. Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Get the recipe:Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup gluten-free corn flour
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 6 tbsp vegan butter or regular butter, melted then cooled
- 1/2 cup honey
- a pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries ***
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, melted and cooled vegan butter (or regular butter), and honey.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients: corn flour, gluten-free baking flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in the wet mixture. Gently combine with a sptula.
- Optional step: toss blueberries in 1 tsp flour before folding them into the cornbread batter. This can prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom and distribute them more evenly.
- Fold in extras: blueberries, canned corn.
- Scoop into lined muffin pan, fill each cup close to the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For substitution details, check the section "Substitution for this Blueberry Cornbread Muffin Recipe"
- Use room temperature eggs and milk. You can slightly warm the milk in the microwave for 20 seconds just to take the chill out. Check more Tips under "Tips for the best Blueberry Cornbread Muffin" Section.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.