Healthy Apple Bread with Crumble Topping
Healthy Apple Bread with cinnamon sugar Crumble Toppings that is packed with fall spices and crunchy apples. this healthy version of apple cinnamon bread is moist, fluffy and so soft. It is also easy to make, gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo-friendly.
Healthy Apple Bread is just perfect for the fall!
One of the most requested recipes from you guys.
Besides pumpkin and warm spiced apples, apple cinnamon-flavored desserts have been my favorite this fall. This Paleo Apple Bread with Crumble Topping is the winner of them all.
A couple of my other favorite Apple Recipes this Fall:
What Makes this Cinnamon Apple Bread Healthy
Made with only a few accessible ingredients, this healthy apple bread is gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly.
Paleo Flour Mix
The only two types of flours used in this apple bread recipe are:
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Flour
They are both paleo-friendly flour, unlike the all-purpose flour used in a traditional apple bread recipe.
No Refined Sugar or Sweetener
This Apple Bread recipe is sweetened with applesauce and maple syrup. I also added some coconut sugar to give my sweet tooth extra satisfaction.
Ingredients you need for this healthy apple cinnamon bread
- Eggs – Room temperature
- Apple Sauce – Make sure you get the unsweetened apple sauce. Or You can make homemade apple sauce. I love this recipe from Katie.
- Almond Butter – You will need smooth almond butter here. I love using almond butter in baking. healthy fats to replace butter in Paleo baking recipes.
- Almond Flour – Choose the finely grounded kind.
- Tapioca Flour
- Coconut Sugar – One of my favorite sweetener that is not only unrefined, paleo-friendly but also adds a little toastiness to this apple cinnamon bread recipe.
- Maple Syrup
- Apples – I suggest using honey crisp or granny smith for this apple cinnamon bread recipe.
How to Make Healthy Apple Bread
First, preheat the oven to 350 F and line or grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
Then, cube half an apple into small cubes. (roughly about 1/2 cup total).
Next, in a medium mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients – eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup, and almond butter. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – almond flour, tapioca flour, apple pie spice, baking soda, and coconut sugar.
Now, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently mix together with a spatula or spoon. Fold in the apples.
Pour the apple bread batter into the loaf pan. Spread the crumble toppings on top (see crumble topping recipe in the next section)
Lastly, bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the apple bread to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy it!
How to make the Best Crumble Topping
This Paleo crumble topping is so easy to make and tastes amazing. You won’t believe there are only four ingredients:
- Almond flour
- Coconut Oil
- Coconut Sugar
- Apple Pie Spice
Note: I also added pecans just to make it extra nutty.
All you need is to hand-mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and let it sit in the fridge while you prepare the apple bread.
Once the bread batter is done, spread the crumbles on top of the apple bread.
Besides adding the best crunchy texture, this crumble topping also makes the apple bread look extra fancy.
Quick Tips for the Best Healthy Apple Bread
1. What Apples to use for apple cinnamon bread
You can use any kind of apples for this apple bread recipe. My favorite is Honey Crisp because they are light and crunchy.
I usually chop the apple into small cubes and lightly sauté it with coconut oil with ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon. This step elevates the apple cinnamon flavor and the sautéed apples will melt in your mouth when you bite into a slice.
Updated Sept. 13, 2022
However, if you prefer the apples still have a little bit of a crunch, you can simply add the freshly chopped apples in the bread mix without sauteeing it beforehand.
2. Do Not Over-mix the Batter
First, mix the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Second, whisk all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
Then, use a spatula to gently combine the two together.
Over-mixing could result in a dense apple bread texture.
3. How to Make Homemade Apple Pie Spice
You can either use store-bought apple pie spice or make your own. It is super easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
4. How to Store Healthy Apple Bread
Once the apple bread has cooled completely, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze apple cinnamon bread?
Absolutely! You can freeze it for up to 2 months.
Additionally, you can slice the apple bread then wrap each piece individually with a plastic wrap.
When you are ready to enjoy, you can just thaw out individual servings at room temperature or put it in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds until warm.
How to Warm Up Apple Bread
In order to make the refrigerated apple bread taste like fresh out of the oven – warm, sweet and cinnamon-y, you can microwave it lightly.
I recommend starting with 10 – 15 seconds and then add additional 5 – 10 seconds if the bread isn’t warmed through.
You don’t want to overheat it which will dry it out or make the apple bread tough.
How to Serve Healthy Apple Cinnamon Bread
There are so many ways you can enjoy this healthy apple bread. Either for breakfast or dessert, it provides healthy fats, protein, and low carb, perfect for the whole family to enjoy.
A few of my favorite ways to serve this apple cinnamon bread:
- With Coffee – Can’t get better than the most classic combination. A cup of frothy joe and a slice of apple cinnamon bread that tastes even better than coffee cake.
- Butter – Another classic duo, apple cinnamon bread paired with butter. This sweet and salty duo will hit your taste buds just right.
- A layer of nut butter – I love using almond butter or peanut butter. It is a healthier option than regular butter. Additionally, it adds a good amount of healthy fats and protein.
- Yogurt – Another one of my favorite way to enjoy as breakfast. A bit tangy yogurt paired with sweet apple cinnamon bread.
Last but not least, this paleo, gluten-free apple bread is husband-approved and kid-friendly. It is so easy to make and is perfect to pack for a school snack this time of the year.
More healthy Fall Recipes You may Enjoy:
Get the recipe:Apple Bread with Crumble Topping (Paleo)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour, packed, 180g
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 30g
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Apple pie spice *
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup apple, small cubed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Crumble Topping
- In a small mixing bowl, add almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and coconut sugar.
- Mix together. Leave in the fridge while preparing the apple bread.
- Apple Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line or grease a 8x4 loaf pan.
- Cube half an apple into small cubes. (About 2/3 cup total)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients - eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup, and almond butter. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients - almond flour, tapioca flour, apple pie spice, baking soda, and coconut sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently mix together with a spatula or spoon. Fold in the apples.
- Pour the apple bread batter into the loaf pan. Spread the crumble toppings on top.
- Bake for 40 - 43 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the apple bread to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy it!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.