Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
This healthy and easy Sweet Potato TURKEY Chili recipe is both gluten-free and dairy-free. in an Instant Pot, it will be ready in only 30 minutes! Nothing’s more perfect than a Sweet and Spicy bowl of Chili on a winter day!
As the weather gets chillier, all I want for dinner is a big bowl of comforting soup or chili will some homemade cornbread. This is the perfect easy, healthy, one-pot chili that will satisfy all your needs.
This is a cozy dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes! If you are not quite a planner like me, this recipe is perfect for you!
Beside this Instant Pot Turkey Chili, I also love:
What are the Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Chili
This instant-pot chili is made with only a few, simple, and accessible ingredients. You might already have it all in your kitchen, or you can find it in your local grocery store. You need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Ground turkey
- Diced tomatoes
- Kidney beans
To spice this dairy-free, healthy and comforting dish up you will need:
- Cacao Poder
- Salt and Pepper
Secrets to the Best Instant Pot Turkey Chili
Sweet potatoes are so versatile! I use them in baking desserts like this Paleo Flourless Brownies, for breakfast Pancakes, and for instant pot soup like Thai Curry or this Chili Recipe.
This vegetable is a good source of Vitamin A and C, which are both great for your immune system during the flu season.
Chocolate in chili? Okay, yes, please! The cacao powder adds depth to the spicy dish, making it more savory and more comforting. And of course, the are health benefits like antioxidants to be found in chocolate!
4 Steps To Take to chili
If you are using an instant pot or a pressure cooker, this chili will be ready in under an hour.
1. Chop up all the ingredients
2. Brown the ground turkey
3. Chuck everything in an instant pot
4. Stir Well
The stirring is actually very important. One time I didn’t stir the pot and all the ingredients just stayed where they were placed after cooking. So you want to stir it until all the ingredients are smothered by the tomato-ey broth.
My Favorite Toppings for the Sweet Potato Chili
3o minutes later and now the chili is ready. Let’s talk about my favorite part, TOPPINGS!
When it comes to topping off a chili bowl, the sky is the limit. A few of my favorite classic and unconventional toppings are:
- Full-Fat yogurt: a much healthier version than sour cream
- Corn Muffin
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green Onion
- Micro Green
- Crusty Bread
Without further ado, scroll down to get the full recipe and get cooking! Let me know how you like it!
Want to save this Sweet Potato Turkey Chili Recipe for later? Don’t forget to save it on your favorite Pinterest board so you can share it with your friends and family.
Get the recipe:Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2- 3 large carrots
- 1 can diced tomato, 14.5 oz
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce, 6oz
- 1/2 cup chopped oinion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 chopped jalapeno, optional *
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock **
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt, pepper (to taste)
- 1 – 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Dashes of cayenne pepper, to taste
- Start with washing your produce thoroughly.
- Cube the sweet potato, carrots, and bell pepper. Chop the onion. Finely chop the garlic and jalapeno.
- Saute bell pepper, jalapeno, and onion for 5 – 7 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic during the last minute.
- Cook ground turkey in a pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil until completely brown. Break the turkey meat apart into little pieces while browning.
- In a pot (pressure cooker or instant pot if using), combine all vegetables, turkey, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans. Add all your spices, including the cacao powder. Add the chicken stock. Stir all the ingredients well.
- Cook in a pressure cooker: seal the top and have the pressure setting on high. Cook for 25 minutes. If you are using a regular pot, let simmer for 1-2 hours until the chili has come together.
- Once it’s done cooking, turn the pressure cooker to "venting" and wait until the pressure is all let out.
- Be creative and top with your favorite toppings. For example avocado, scallion, and full-fat yogurt, and shredded cheese
- Serve with cornbread or your favorite crackers. ENJOY!
- *If you prefer spicier, keep the seeds of jalapeno (it definitely caught my mouth on fire)
- ** Add more chicken stock if you prefer more "soupy" chili. Vice versa, if you like thick and creamy chili, use a little less chicken stock. You can also add more once the chili is done.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.
When you say “1 can” of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, is that a 15oz can or the small 8oz?
Thank the tomato sauce is 6oz can, and the diced tomato is 14.5 oz. I just updated the recipe. Thank you for pointing it out!
okay, so i love the combinations of ingredients and flavors here, but I combined everything only to read at the end that this is intended for an instant pot….which I don’t have. How long to cook on the stove top in a regular pot????????
THat’s okay! You can cook on stovetop on low/simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours until the sweet potato gets really soft and tender. Hope it helps. Enjoy!
Is this missing how much cocoa powder to add and possibly some water or chicken stock?
I just updated the recipe with cacao powder (which is optional). Chicken stock measurement can also vary per your preference too. Enjoy!
Cacao powder isn’t included in the Ingredients or instructions. What quantity should I use?
I just updated the recipe card with cacao powder. I usually use 1 heaping tablespoon of it. You can use up to 2 tablespoons if you are adding more liquid. Enjoy!
How much cacoa powder did you add to the seasoning? I want to try it!
You can add 1 heaping tablespoon up to 2 tablespoons of cacao powder. Enjoy!
I’m confused where in the recipe the sweet potato is cooked!
The sweet potato will be cooked with the chili. It doesn’t need to be pre-cooked. Does that clarify your questions?
You state chicken or turkey stock above the recipe but it’s not in the ingredient list. Please confirm. Thanks!
When are you supposed to add in the cocoa?
You add the cacao powder along with other spices.Enjoy!
If I put it in a crock pot how long should it take?
If you use a crockpot, you can do 3 hours on high or 5 – 6 hours on low. Stir occasionally to make sure everything is well combined 🙂 Enjoy.