This healthy and easy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili recipe is gluten and dairy-free. It can be made in 30 minutes in Instant pot. Nothing can get more perfect than a Sweet and Spicy bowl of Chili on a winter day!
As the weather gets chillier, all I want for dinner is a big bowl of soup or chili.
Beside this Instant Pot Turkey Chili, I also love:
This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili is made with simple and accessible ingredients –
- Ground turkey
- Sweet potato
- Onion, bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Kidney beans.
Soup weather doesn’t last long in Charlotte, so I had to take advantage of it!
What are the Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Chili
I can’t say this enough – eating healthy, living a healthy lifestyle don’t have to be expensive or complicated.
For this healthy chili recipe, you just need a handful of simple and healthy ingredients that you can pick up from any local grocery stores.
- Ground Turkey (Omit for vegan option)
- Assorted bell pepper
- Onion Garlic
- Sweet Potatoes
2. Canned goods
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Turkey or Chicken Stock
- Kidney Beans
Garlic, onion powder
Cacao powder (optional)
Salt and pepper
Secrets to the Best Instant Pot Turkey Chili
1. Sweet Potatoes
Do I add sweet potatoes to pretty much any of my recipes? Probably.
Sweet Potatoes add the perfect sweetness and soft texture to this chili. They also cut the acidity from the tomatoes and spiciness from the chili powder.
2. Cacao Powder
Chocolate in chili? Okay, yes, please!
Cacao powder is another one of my favorite kitchen staples.
It is rich in antioxidants, contains lots of vitamins, minerals and many health benefits. Read more Here.
In this healthy chili recipe, cacao powder compliments the acidic tomatoes and spicy chili powder perfectly. It truly just brings all the flavors together.
3. Steps To Take
If you are using an instant pot, pressure cooker, this chili will be ready in under an hour.
1. Chop up all the ingredients (listed below in the recipe)
2. Brown the ground turkey
3. Chuck everything in an instant pot
4. Stir Well
This step is actually very important. One time I didn’t stir the pot, all the ingredients just stayed where they were placed after cooking. So you want to stir it until all the ingredients are smothered by the tomato-ey broth.
My Favorite Toppings for the Sweet Potato Chili
Now the chili is ready. Let’s talk about my favorite part!
When it comes to topping off a chili bowl, the sky is unlimited.
A few of my favorite classic and unconventional toppings are:
- Full-Fat yogurt: a much healthier version than sour cream
- Corn Muffin
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green Onion
- Micro Green
- Crusty Bread
Cooking Turkey Sweet Potato Chili in Crockpot or Stove Top
Crockpot Chili Instruction:
Use the same instruction listed in this recipe to prepare all the ingredients. Then cook in Crockpot on high for 4 hours.
Stove Top Chili Instruction:
Saute the carrots and sweet potatoes first until tender. Then use the same instruction listed in this recipe to prepare the rest of the ingredients. Bring to boil on stovetop, then simmer for an hour to an hour and half or until the sweet potatoes are soft enough to poke through with a fork.
Without further due, scroll down to get the full recipe and get cooking!
This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili recipe one of my favorite go-to dinner recipes this winter. It is super easy to make either in a crockpot or an instant pot (pressure cooker).
A cozy dinner can be ready in 30 minutes! If you are not quite a planner like me, this recipe is perfect for you!
Want to save this Sweet Potato Turkey Chili Recipe for later? Don’t forget to save it on your favorite Pinterest board so you can share it with your friends and family.
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2- 3 large carrots
- 1 can diced tomato (14.5 oz)
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce (6oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped oinion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 chopped jalapeno (optional) *
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock **
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt, pepper (to taste)
- 1 - 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Dashes of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Cube sweet potato and carrots; Dice bell pepper into cubes, minced garlic, onion, and jalapeno
- Saute bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and onion for 5 - 7 minutes or until softened.
- Cook ground turkey in a pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil until completely brown (no raw/red meat left). Break the turkey meat apart to little pieces while browning
- Add all the cooked ingredients, sweet potato, carrots diced tomato, tomato sauce, and kidney beans in a pot
- Season with 2 - 3 tsp of chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste. And stir all the ingredients well.
- Cook in a pressure cooker: (which is my favorite way, so quick and easy in my multi-pot), seal the top and have the pressure setting on high. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Once it's done cooking, turn the pressure cooker to "venting" and wait until the pressure is all let out.
- Top with your favorite toppings: avocado, scallion, and full-fat yogurt and shredded cheese
- Serve with cornbread or your favorite crackers. ENJOY!
- *If you prefer spicier, keep the seeds of jalapeno (it definitely caught my mouth on fire)
- ** Add more chicken stock if you prefer more "soupy" chili. Vice versa, if you like thick and creamy chili, use a little less chicken stock. You can also add more once the chili is done.
Don't have an instant pot? Check out the instructions for crockpot and stovetop sweet potato chili in the post.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.