18 Nov Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
This hearty and healthy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili recipe is made with a mixture of ground turkey, sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and kidney beans. It is gluten and dairy free. Nothing can get more perfect than a Sweet, Spicy and Healthy bowl of Chili on a chili day!
As the weather gets chillier, all I want for dinner is a big bowl of soup or chili.
Soup weather doesn’t last long in Charlotte, so I had to take advantage of it. I found a turkey chili recipe on AllRecipe.com which instantly made my stomach growl. I had to give it a try.
Simple Ingredients for this Healthy Chili
I can’t say this enough – eating healthy, living a healthy lifestyle don’t have to be expensive or complicated.
For this healthy chili recipe, you just need a handful of simple and healthy ingredients that you can pick up from any local grocery stores.
Assorted bell pepper
- Canned goods
Turkey or Chicken Stock
Garlic, onion powder
Cacao powder (optional)
Salt and pepper
Secrets to a Sweet, Spicy and Hearty Chili
1. Sweet Potatoes
Do I add sweet potatoes to pretty much any of my recipes? Probably.
Sweet Potatoes add the perfect sweetness and soft texture to this chili. They also cut the acidity from the tomatoes and spiciness from the chili powder.
2. Cacao Powder
Chocolate in chili? Okay, yes please!
Cacao powder is another one of my favorite kitchen staples. It is rich in antioxidant, contains lots of vitamins, minerals and many healthy benefits. Read more Here.
In this healthy chili recipe, cacao powder compliments the acidic tomatoes and spicy chili powder perfectly. It truly just brings all the flavors together.
3. Steps To Take
If you are using an instant pot, pressure cooker, this chili will be ready in under an hour.
1. Chop up all the Ingredients (listed below in the recipe)
2. Brown the ground turkey
3. Chuck everything in the pot
I used Mealthy 9-function Pot. It is like a instant Pot on steroids. You can use it slow or pressure cook, sauté, steam, and even make yogurt and cakes.
4. Stir Well
This step is actually very important. One time I didn’t stir the pot, all the ingredients just stayed where they were placed after cooking. So you want to stir it until all the ingredients are smothered by the tomato-ey broth.
A few of my favorite Toppings
Now the chili is ready. Let’s talk about my favorite part!
When it comes to topping off a chili bowl, the sky is unlimited.
A few of my favorite classic and unconventional toppings are:
- Full Fat yogurt: a much healthier version than sour cream
- Corn Muffin
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green Onion
- Micro Green
Without further due, scroll down to get the full recipe and get cooking!
This Turkey Sweet Potato Chili recipe one of my favorite go-to dinner recipes this winter. It is super easy to make either in a crockpot or an instant pot (pressure cooker).
A cozy dinner can be ready in 30 minutes! If you are not quite a planner like me, this recipe is perfect for you!
Want to save this Turkey Sweet Potato Chili Recipe for later? Don’t forget to save it on your favorite Pinterest Board so you can share it with your friends and family.
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 large carrots
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped oinion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt, pepper (to taste)
- Shredded cheese
- full fat yogurt (or sour cream)
- chopped scallion
- Cube sweet potato and carrots; Dice bell pepper in to cubes, mince garlic, onion and jalapeno
- Saute bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and onion for 5 - 7 minute or until soften
- Cook ground turkey in a pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil until completely brown (no raw/red meat left). Break the turkey meat apart to little pieces while browning
- Add all the cooked ingredients, sweet potato, carrots diced tomato, tomato sauce and kidney beans in a pot
- Season with 2 - 3 tsp of chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. And stir all the ingredients well
- Cook in a pressure cooker: (which is my favorite way, so quick and easy in my multi-pot), seal the top and have the pressure setting on high. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Once it's done cooking, turn the pressure cooker to "venting" and wait until the pressure is all let out.
- Top with avocado, scallion, and full fat yogurt and shredded cheese
- Serve with corn bread or your favorite crackers. ENJOY!
- If you prefer spicier, keep the seeds of jalapeno (it definitely caught my mouth on fire)
- If you are cooking on stove top, cook all the ingredients in a pot for at least an hour or until preferred consistency