Crockpot Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
This Easy Coconut Thai curry Chicken is so flavorful and easy to make in your crockpot or instapot. This recipe makes a fast and delicious weekday dinner for the whole family to enjoy. Even better, It is Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It surely has become a fans’ favorite in the SKS community!
Thai food is one of my favorite cuisines with its layers of flavors and spices in every bite.
As much as I have been obsessed with going to a Thai restaurant, I never made any curry myself before Tom and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon.
Thai food just seemed so intimidating for me to master.
During our honeymoon in Thailand, Tom and I fell in love with Thai Coconut Curry. We pretty much had it every single day.
Our favorite is hands-down yellow coconut curry chicken. The sweet, spicy, and creamy curry paired with chicken, seafood or any vegetables are the most magical thing ever.
How Spicy is Yellow Curry?
There are a few popular Thai Curry:
- Yellow Coconut Curry (The kind I am making here)
- Green Coconut Curry
- Red Curry
- Panang Curry
So is Yellow Curry super spicy?
The short answer is it doesn’t have to be.
Yellow curry is usually mild to medium compare to red curry.
However, you can always reduce or increase the amount of heat in your coconut curry by adjusting the amount of red chili pepper.
Here is How to Make Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
After we got back home, I was determined to replicate this yellow curry recipe using my instant pot.
A crockpot, instant pot or a slow cooker is all you need.
“Chuck” all the ingredients in one pot, and simmer
The slow cooker is one of my favorites this winter. I literally have been using it 2 – 3 times a week.
It is the most convenient thing ever. One of my other obsessions in addition to this coconut curry recipe is my sweet potato Turkey Chili.
All you need is to throw all the ingredients in there and just leave it. This is the perfect one pot meal to stay warm in the winter, and also all year round!
What does Thai Coconut Curry Taste Like
Before you get yourself into this recipe, you may wonder –
What is so good about Thai Coconut Curry? What does it taste like?
Thai Coconut Curry is a bit sweet, spicy, and incredibly flavorful from the curry paste.
Curry paste is traditionally made from lemongrass, ginger, shallots, garlic, and Thai chili pepper.
Yes, a lot of flavors.
Make your own Thai Curry Paste
Certainly, you can easily pick up a great curry paste in the store. Make sure you look at the ingredients to make sure there are no additives, preservatives, and all the other fillers.
But homemade Thai Curry Paste is so much fresher. Inspired by the Thai Cooking class Tom and I did, which by the way, was so much fun, I made my own authentic Thai Curry Paste.
Since I don’t have one of those fancy Pounding Stone (this is what it looks like), I made my “authentic” curry paste in a food processor. ( I will perfect this curry paste recipe and post it soon for you guys!)
What coconut milk is the best for Thai Curry?
I love using canned coconut milk or coconut cream.
You can scoop out the hard coconut “cream” on top. It will make this Thai coconut curry come out extra creamy. Save the milk part on the bottom for smoothies.
Coconut cream is much thicker and richer compare to coconut milk (such as the carton ones sold in-store). It is able to provide a much richer flavor and creamier texture.
Make Thai Coconut Curry Recipe Vegan
If you are vegetarian or vegan, a simple way to make this fit into your dietary restriction is to substitute the chicken with the legumes of your choice.
A couple of my favorites are lentil or chickpea curry. You will need 2 cans of drained chickpeas or 2 cups of lentils soaked overnight for this vegan curry recipe alternative.
How To Serve Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
You can either serve this sweet, spicy, and hearty curry with jasmine rice or use cauliflower rice to make it a great Paleo, Whole 30 compliant option.
Save this Easy Crockpot Thai Curry Chicken on your favorite Pinterest board to share with your friends and family!
Get the recipe:Crockpot Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breast or thighs
- 1 can 14 oz coconut milk, full fat or 1/2 can 13 oz coconut cream *
- 3 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 small sweet potato, optional
- 3 medium carrots, Optional
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 1- inch ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- pinches chili pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bunch cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 - 2 cups chicken broth **
- Salt to Taste
- Chop the chicken into cubes (option to stay cubed, or shred at the end). Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic cloves and ginger.
- Chop the bell pepper, sweet potato and carrots into cubes.
- Add all the ingredients into a crockpot. Stir well. If using coconut cream, add additional chicken stock.
- Cook on high for 4 hours
- Instant Pot Instruction
- Pressure cook (high) for 18 - 20 minutes (depending on how many sweet potatoes/carrots you are using. They take a bit longer to get soft and tender). Release the pressure completely before opening the top.
- Serve with Jasmin or Cauliflower rice (paleo). Garnish with cilantro
- * If using coconut cream, add additional 1 -2 cup chicken stock. If you are using coconut milk, use the whole 12 oz can.
- ** You can adjust the amount of broth depending on how thick you like your chicken curry to be.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.