Fluffy Cinnamon Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
This spiced cinnamon cake swiss roll is delicious and filled with a sweet and creamy cheese frosting. It is perfect to enjoy any time of year, and you can ‘dress’ it up to make it festive for any holiday. The cake is made gluten free flour, while also being extremely moist and fluffy.
Just wait until you take the first bite of this tasty dessert!
This fluffy cinnamon cake Swiss roll is sure to wow everyone. It has the perfect subtle cinnamon spice, with a creamy filling.
It is a fun twist on a childhood favorite…Little Debbie Swiss Roll!
What Ingredients are in the Cinnamon Cake Roll
This recipe has fairly standard ingredients that you likely have at home, or are simple to get at the store!
Gluten free flour– I like to use Bob’s Red Mill, or a 1:1 flour. But if you are not gluten free- you can opt to use All Purpose Flour.
Granulated Sugar– Any type will do! Granulated or Cane Sugar.
Butter-you can opt for regular, or a dairy free butter; or coconut oil slightly cooled.
Cream Cheese– Or, I love using my Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting for the filling to make this Cinnamon Swiss Roll dairy free.
Butter-or a dairy free alternative
How to Make Cinnamon Cake Swiss Rolls
If you are looking for a fairly simple dessert to bring to a gathering- or make for friends and family… this, is it! I thought these rolls were difficult at first to make, but I think I have mastered them, and I hope the step-by-step instructions help you too!
How to Roll the Cake Without Cracking It
First, make sure to pre-roll the cake while it’s still warm. Second, do not roll it too tight. Third, do not overbake and dry out the cake!
Can I Use a Different Size Pan?
No, it affects the thickness of the cake which could change the baking time, and amount of filling you need in it.
What Flour I Used to Make This
In this case, I used bob’s red mill gluten free baking flour that is 1:1 ratio with regular flour.
However, you can use unbleached all-purpose flour for this recipe as well.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Cake Dairy Free
Yes! The cake itself is dairy free. Additionally, I love using my Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting for the filling to make this Gingerbread Roll gluten free and dairy free.
How to Store a Cinnamon Cake Roll
In this case, you can leave the roll on the counter for a day and then I recommend storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I love having a slice with a warm cup of coffee or tea. The creamy filling mixed with the soft cake pairs perfectly with a warm beverage.
Additionally, if you want to take it to the next level add a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
What other chocolate recipes would you like to see?
Get the recipe:Fluffy Cinnamon Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
Fluffy Cinnamon Cake Roll
- 4 eggs, *room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour, *90g
- 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2g
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 block cream cheese, *softened
- 2 tbsp butter, *softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, gluten free flour baking soda and baking powder, ground cinnamon nutmeg until no clumps left.
- Add eggs and melted butter. Combined with a spatula.
- Pour onto a parchment paper lined jelly roll pan. Spread evenly across the pan. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Once taken out of the oven, cover with a sheet of tin foil or another baking pan for 10 minutes, this can help prevent the cake from drying out.
- Gently cover with another piece of parchment paper, roll up and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Let it cool for at least an hour.
- This “pre-rolling” can help reducing the cake from breaking when rolling with cream cheese frosting.
- In another bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a hand mixer, until smooth.
- Spread it evenly across the cake.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp cinnamon across the frosting.
- Roll up again, tightly wrap with plastic wrap. And refrigerate for at least half an hour before serving.
- Sprinkle more powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon on top.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.