This Vegan butternut squash mac and Cheese is made with simple ingredients like butternut squash, raw cashews, coconut milk and pasta of your choice. A healthy Mac and Cheese that is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and so easy to make.
Craving comfort food and looking for a healthy option at the same time? This Vegan butternut squash mac and cheese has it all.
Smother your favorite pasta in this homemade butternut squash cheese sauce for a childhood’s favorite Mac and Cheese!
Except that there is no fake cheese, no soy, no preservative, just lots of creaminess, and deliciousness.
In addition to this vegan pasta sauce recipe, a couple of my favorite sauces and dips you should also try:
Is Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce Healthy?
If “SAUCE” can be a food group, it will for sure be my favorite group.
I love making my own healthified versions of sauces and dips.
This Vegan Butternut Squash mac and cheese is one of my staples.
It is Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo-Friendly, and Super easy to make.
This butternut squash mac and cheese recipe is perfect for the fall and holiday season.
If you are as obsessed with butternut squash as I am this time of the year (or all year round), you definitely need to give this a go.
Ingredients you need for butternut squash mac and cheese
1. Raw Cashews
Raw cashews are one of my favorite ingredients when it comes to vegan recipes.
Not only it contains protein and healthy fats, but it also provides creamy and thick texture.
2. Butternut Squash
It is one of my favorite squashes. Not only during the fall season, I find ways to enjoy butternut squash all year round.
Butternut Squash has so many health benefits. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, packed with antioxidants and fiber which may aid weight loss.
Read more here.
3. Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast is often used in vegan cooking to provide cheesy flavor.
It is a great source of protein, B vitamins, and antioxidants.
Read more here.
4. Coconut milk
How to make easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
To begin with, all you need is a few simple ingredients, you can make this healthy mac and cheese in 5 minutes.
First, instead of a dairy products, I am using raw cashews.
To prepare them, I usually soak my cashews in filtered water overnight (or 6 hours). Soaking nuts and seeds help unlock and activate the beneficial ingredients for our absorption.
However, it is not always the most convenient thing to have soaked nuts on hands (in fact, I rarely do).
One of my favorite easy trick is to use Cashew Butter.
It makes it so creamy. You won’t believe this is dairy-free.
Second star ingredient of this show is Roasted butternut squash.
To prepare butternut squash, I rub cubed butternut squash in coconut oil and cinnamon.
Then spread them apart on a sheet pan, bake 375 F in the oven for 30 min.
Last but not least, this Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo-Friendly and Super easy to make.
Just pulse all the ingredients in a food processor until creamy. Viola!
It is sweet, nutty, and just heavenly. Hope you will give this a go.
Warning: super addicting.
How to Serve Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce
I love mixing it with some gluten-free pasta to make a healthy vegan mac and cheese.
Spread on my toast, or just eat it straight.
Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
My favorite way is to make some gluten-free pasta and smother in this creamy and luscious butternut squash cheese sauce.
Add some veggies like peas, avocado or just eat it as it is!
Dairy-Free Vegan Cheese Toast
Use it as spreadable “cheese” and smudge on a couple pieces of toasts.
The sky is the limit! There are so many ways you can enjoy this Vegan Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce.
What are some of your favorite ways? Leave it in the comment below! and Enjoy ~
You May also like these other Easy Vegan Recipes:
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 1/2 cup soaked cashew *
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic (Optional: omit if you can't stand the taste of it)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 wedge lemon
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup liquid of choice (water, nut milk, bone broth) **
- Soak raw cashews in warm water (enough to fully cover the cashews) and a pinch of salt overnight or in hot water for a couple of hours.
- Drain and rinse the cashews.
- Pulse everything in a food processor or blender until creamy.
- Serve with your favorite pasta for a vegan mac and cheese.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- How to roast butternut squash: Season cubed butternut squash with 1 tbsp coconut oil and cinnamon, rub it in thoroughly. Line them up on a sheet pan then roast at 375 F in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Liquid options: My personal favorite is bone broth because it elevates the taste to another level. But if you are vegan, my favorite is canned coconut milk. Or you can use any nut milk is also a great choice to add that extra flavor!
- *If you have cashew butter handy, 1/2 cup of it will do the same trick
- **Tip: Start with a small amount of liquid and add more to your preferred consistency. It does thicken when you store them in the fridge. So I usually like mine a little bit on the liquidy side.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.