This gooey S’mores skillet cookie with chewy caramelized marshmallows, melty chocolate, and sweet graham crackers is everything you need this summer! This cookie skillet is a family favorite that is gluten-free, grain-free, and can be made paleo and vegan as well.
This giant S’more stuffed cookie skillet has a paleo chocolate chip cookie base and is layered with gluten-free graham crackers and fluffy, caramelized marshmallows.
This healthy-ish dessert skillet is everything you need all in one!
Sweet, gooey, soft, chewy, and so delicious!
S’mores is such a fun and yummy dessert for summer (or winter, all year round really).
If you are a big S’mores fan like me, you have to try some of my twists on the classic desserts like these Healthy S’mores Brownies and Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies!
And now, let’s try this S’mores Cookie Skillet recipe!
Why I love this Stuffed S’mores Cookie Skillet
This gooey, sweet, and chewy dessert seriously got it all.
First of all, all the ingredients are easily accessible in grocery stores or maybe already in your pantry. Chocolate, graham crackers and chocolate? Hello?
This easy cookie skillet is also so easy to make and fun to prepare with the kids.
It can be made vegan by swapping out the egg with flax egg or chia egg.
Additionally, this cookie skillet recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free has a paleo cookie skillet base.
Healthy Ingredients for S’mores Cookie Skillet
This gluten-free stuffed S’mores Cookie Cake is so easy to make with ingredients that are easily accessible and healthy or healthy-ish.
For this S’mores recipe, all that is needed is one egg. And as always, bake with room-temperature eggs.
For a vegan cookie, use a flax egg instead.
I love using smooth almond butter – and I always choose the kind that only has one ingredient (almonds, duh) without any additives.
You can also sub for peanut butter or cashew butter.
Baking with maple syrup is such an easy and delicious way to switch out regular white sugar.
It gives this paleo cookie the perfect caramel flavor.
Melt the coconut oil and let it cool down to room temperature before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
Unlike baking with wheat flour, make sure to pack the almond flour when measuring it. Then, to allow the flour to become fluffy and lump-free, sift it before mixing with the rest of the dry ingredients.
The flavor of coconut sugar is comparable to brown sugar, which also could be used in this recipe, and give this S’mores Cookie Skillet a nice warm and caramel flavor.
The rising agent of choice that will give this paleo chocolate chip cookie base a nice texture.
My rule of thumb is to always add a pinch of salt when baking. It will balance out the sweetness and elevate all other flavors, especially when adding chocolate.
Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars
The higher the cacao content the better. And FYI, there are proven health benefits to dark chocolate. Read more about that here.
I’m using gluten-free graham crackers for this S’mores stuffed cookie skillet. However, if you are not trying to avoid gluten, regular graham crackers would work just as well.
Did you know that there are paleo-friendly and sugar-free marshmallows in the stores? Perfect when you don’t want to compromise with your diet!
But of course, use regular marshmallows if you want, that’s what I’m doing.
How to make a giant S’mores stuffed cookie skillet
This delicious and gluten-free dessert recipe is easy to make in a few simple steps.
Start with preheating the oven.
Begin with making the paleo chocolate chip cookie dough by whisking together egg, almond butter, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil in a large mixing bowl.
Then, in a separate bowl, combine almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. If needed, sift the almond flour to make sure there are no lumps left.
Now, gently pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Combine with a spatula.
Lastly, fold in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars into the cookie dough. Remember to save some chocolate for later.
Grease an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
Add half of the cookie dough to the bottom of the cast-iron skillet.
Then, add a layer of graham crackers (you can break them up in however large pieces you would like).
Add the rest of the cookie dough on top of the graham crackers.
Lastly, place marshmallows, more chocolate, and graham crackers on top of the last cookie dough layer.
Finally, bake 20 minutes until the marshmallows have gotten a nice golden top.
Tips for the best S’mores Cookie Skillet
- Make sure your oven is at the correct temperature by using an oven thermometer. Since I got a thermometer, I have noticed that my oven takes extra time to heat up to the target temperature.
- Broil at the end to make the marshmallow extra crispy on top and give it a nice caramelization.
- Use smooth almond butter. You can also sub for peanut butter or cashew butter, or sun butter if you want a nut-free option.
- Coconut sugar – you can also use brown sugar. These 2 kinds of sugar give a nice warm caramel flavor, perfect for this cookie.
- To make this S’mores Cookie skillet vegan: sub for a flax egg. To make a “flax egg”, simply mix 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds with 2 tbsp of water and let sit for a few minutes.
How to serve this gluten-free S’mores Cookie Cake
For me, this is simple.
Serve warm and eat this delicious dessert straight from the skillet!
That is literally all you need.
Oh, and maybe a big glass of ice-cold homemade cashew milk, or a cup of coffee.
And just maybe, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Now, get baking! And then, leave me a comment on how you like this S’mores Cookie Skillet!
Other summer dessert recipes you will love
S’mores Cookie Skillet
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup almond flour packed
- 1/4 cup – 1/3 cup coconut sugar *
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars *
- 3 sheets of graham crackers*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg, almond butter, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. If needed, sift the almond flour to make sure there are no lumps left.
- Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients together with a spatula.
- Fold in 3/4 of the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars into the cookie dough. Save the rest of the chocolate for later.
- Grease an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil. Add half of the cookie dough to the bottom of the cast-iron skillet
- Then, add a layer of graham crackers (you can break them up in however large pieces you would like).
- Add the rest of the cookie dough on top of the graham crackers.
- Place marshmallows, the rest of the chocolate, and more graham crackers on top.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until your preferred doneness.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.