These soft, buttery Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies are your fall twist on the classic sugar cookie dough favorite, made with wholesome ingredients and gluten-free.
Now that the weather is getting colder, there is nothing more that I enjoy than a warm cup of tea with a couple of Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies.
It’s so cozy to stay inside and enjoy some freshly made cookies!
Best of all, these cookies are super simple and made with wholesome ingredients. Additionally, they are packed with all things pumpkin and fall spice.
If you love this recipe, you’ll also probably love my Peanut Butter Cookies and my Apple Butter Cookies.
Why are they called thumbprint cookies?
Originally, this cookie’s name comes from the way they are prepared. You roll the cookies into balls and then flatten them with your thumb.
Afterward, they are typically filled with some sort of jam and topped with nuts and powdered sugar.
What is another name for thumbprint cookies?
Markedly, thumbprint cookies are a very popular holiday cookie. Specifically, they seem to originate from Sweden where they are called Hallongrotta, which means “raspberry cave” in Swedish – referring to the jam filling in the middle.
How sweet – literally!
Can you use pumpkin pie mix instead of pumpkin puree for cookies?
Certainly, you can use pumpkin pie mix! However, the pumpkin pie mix has spices, sugars, and more added ingredients.
For this reason, I prefer pumpkin puree! Particularly, this way I can customize the amount of coconut sugar to fit my sweet taste buds.
Although, in a pinch, you can always use pumpkin pie mix and add less coconut sugar.
How does pumpkin affect baking?
Pumpkin is a sweetener, moisturizer, and fat substitute in dessert recipes. Furthermore, sometimes it’s often an eggs and oil replacer
Additionally, pumpkin adds a deeper nuttiness to these cookies.
What happens if you use almond flour in cooking?
Ingredients for Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
These Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies are made with wholesome ingredients, pumpkin spice, and everything nice:
Almond flour, packed
Butter, room temp, softened
Apple cider vinegar
Pumpkin puree, drained
Pumpkin pie spice
How to Make Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
First, in a bowl, combine sugar and room-temperature butter.
Second, use a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or a couple of pieces of paper towel to squeeze out the excess liquid in the pumpkin puree.
Third, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
Then, combine the wet and dry using a spatula.
Afterward, cover and freeze for 20 – 25 minutes or refrigerate for at least 2 – 3 hours or overnight.
Next, scoop the dough into cookie dough balls, gently flatten and use your thumb to press a well into the balls – you should see your thumbprint.
Then, sprinkle some extra coconut sugar on top if desired.
Finally, bake at 350 F for 12 – 14 minutes. While still warm, very gently press the center with your thumb again (it will puff up a bit after baking).
Lastly, add 1 – 2 tsp pumpkin butter or my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting.
Let them cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
In summary, here are a few tips to make these cookies extra delicious:
- Squeezing the pumpkin puree with a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or paper towel prevents the cookies from being too gooey, soft, or from falling apart. Specifically, it helps add the right level of chewiness!
- Measure with a food scale! Certainly, this will prevent any error in measurement! Otherwise, I recommend packing the flour.
- Certainly, pumpkin puree is superior to pumpkin pie mix!
- You can make your own topping and mix and match: Apple Butter, Strawberry Chia Jam, Vegan Raspberry Chia Jam.
How to Store Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
Generally, I like to keep these thumbprint cookies in an airtight container for about a week in the fridge!
In addition, you can freeze after baking! Simply dethaw and enjoy. You can also buzz it in your microwave or air fryer before serving.
Can thumbprint dough be refrigerated overnight?
Certainly! In this case, the thumbprint will be added before freezing and then you can repress it after baking.
How to Serve Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
Without a doubt, my favorite way to enjoy these cookies is with a warm cup of coffee or tea.
Additionally, they’re the perfect bite-size dessert – sometimes I sneak a few as I am passing through the kitchen or pack a couple for the road.
Enjoy them any way you desire!
What other fall recipes would you like to see?
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
Other delicious pumpkin recipes
1. Pumpkin Blondies
2. Healthy Pumpkin CheeseCake
3. Pumpkin Scones
Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour packed 240g
- 3 tbsp coconut flour 30g
- 1/4 cup butter room temp, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree drained
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Combine sugar and room-temperature butter in a bowl.
- Use a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or a couple of pieces of paper towel to
squeeze out the excess liquid in the pumpkin puree.
- Whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry using a spatula.
- Cover and freeze for 20 – 25 minutes or refrigerate for at
least 2 – 3 hours or overnight.
- Scoop the dough into cookie dough balls, gently flatten and
use your thumb to press a well into the balls – you should see your thumbprint.
- Sprinkle some extra coconut sugar on top if desired.
- Bake at 350 F for 12 – 14 minutes. While still warm, very
gently press the center with your thumb again (it will puff up a bit after
- Add 1 – 2 tsp pumpkin butter or my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Leave a Reply