Paleo Sweet Potato Pie Skillet
Sweet Potato Pie is one of my favorite desserts during the holidays! I decided to give the traditional sweet potato pie recipe a fun twist and make it paleo, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free, and yet completely delicious and super easy to make.
Is sweet potato pie a Thanksgiving staple in your household? It certainly is in my husband’s family. And it has now become my favorite dessert during the holiday season.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may already know my obsession with sweet potatoes! Not only do I use sweet potatoes to sweeten a lot of my dessert recipes, but I also love a good batch of CRISPY sweet potato fries for every Sunday meal prep.
Creating a Sweet Potato Pie in ONE Skillet
First of all, instead of the refined sugar used in a traditional pie filling, I used roasted local sweet potato for this paleo dessert. I love sweetening my baked goods with sweet potatoes.
Spice Up This Recipe The Way ou like
I love to add nut butter on top of everything!
My oatmeal, breakfast toasts, smoothie bowls, and paleo desserts.
Last but not least, my favorite part of this Thanksgiving recipe may have to be the fall spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and allspice are running through my blood this time of the year.
Add a heaping teaspoon of these warming spices to the sweet potato pie filling as well as the spiced pecans. It will turn the flavor up a notch for sure.
How to make the sweet potato pie skillet
Start with mixing all the wet ingredients, including sweet potato, eggs, coconut oil, and cashew butter. Fold in the dry ingredients and add some dark chocolate to take the pie to the next level. Transfer to a cast-iron skillet.
Roast the pecans in a separate pan together with coconut oil and warming spices. Top the pie filling with the spiced nuts. Lastly, bake. Enjoy!
Once you’ve tried this skillet version of sweet potato pie skillet, you’ll never go back to your regular old holiday pies! It is paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and no refined sugar.
You can also enjoy a slice for breakfast. It is the perfect filling and satisfying way to start off your day.
Don’t forget to save this Sweet Potato Pie Skillet on your favorite Pinterest Board and Share it with your friends and family.
Get the recipe:Sweet Potato Pie Skillet
- 1/2 roasted and mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom (each)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 cinnamon, nutmeg (each)
- 2 tbsp melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Sweet Potato Pie
- In a mixing bowl, combined mashed sweet potato, coconut oil, egg, and cashew butter. Mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine almond flour, baking soda, and all the fall spices. Mix well. Gently fold into the sweet potato mixture.
- Optional: I folded in some dark chocolate to turn it up a notch.
- Pour the batter into an 8-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Pecan Toppings
- Saute the pecans in a saucepan with coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg (about 1/2 tsp each). If you wish for a sweeter dessert, add 1 tbsp coconut sugar to coat the pecans.
- Cook on medium to low heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the nuts.
- Add the spiced pecans to the top of the sweet potato pie.
- Baking instruction
- Bake for 17 minute
- If needed, broil it for 2 minutes to give the top a little caramelization, be careful not to burn the nuts.
- Top with melted chocolate and whip cream.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.