Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This velvet, moist Chocolate Cake recipe is all you need to satisfy your chocolate cravings. This recipe is Paleo, Gluten-Free, and Vegan, low in sugar bust still bursting with decadence. Topped with my favorite cashew cream cheese frosting, this dessert is perfect for any occasion.
Anything chocolate speaks my love language when it comes to dessert. From my Hot Chocolate Brownies (Gluten Free) to No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Balls, I don’t know what took me so long to finally share the most classic expression of chocolate.
This Chocolate Cake is soft, moist and so chocolaty. Topped with vegan cream cheese frosting, it is like Heaven.
Why I Love This Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
First of all, there’s never a bad time for chocolate so you could make this recipe for anything; holidays, birthdays, potlucks or just because! It is so easy to make and tastes rich and delicious. You won’t even know that it is a healthy version of our favorite chocolate cake.
Along with chocolate providing some pretty awesome health benefits, this recipe includes beet powder which has health-promoting properties as well! So basically you could just call this a superfood vegan chocolate cake 🙂
Beet powder has similar properties to chocolate in that it helps lower blood pressure, reduces inflammation, supports brain health, contains cancer-fighting antioxidants, and may improve digestive health as well. Beet powder goes great in smoothies too so you’ll have more uses for it than just for this recipe.
Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
The cashew vegan cream cheese used for this recipe is the perfect balance of tangy and sweet. Besides the taste and texture, it is is a good source of healthy fats and fiber.
It is the frosting for many other desserts as well:
You only need 5 ingredients:
- Raw Cashews
- Coconut Milk (canned)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut oil
- Maple Syrup
You can find the full recipe for the BEST vegan cream cheese frosting Here.
A Chocolate Cake with Health Benefits?
I’m sure you’ve heard by now that chocolate can actually be good for our health. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content is where we find some pretty significant health benefits.
Dark chocolate can contain high amounts of nutrients including fiber (yes, fiber!), iron, magnesium, copper, and many other minerals that contribute to a healthy diet.
Research has also shown that chocolate can lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart conditions, and even improve brain function. It is also loaded with antioxidants which have shown to help prevent cancer.
I’m pretty sure I really didn’t need to give you a reason to eat chocolate, but knowing that it has all of these health benefits is a good reason to give this recipe a try!
How to Make this Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
First, you will need to prepare for the flax “eggs”, which requires ground flax seeds and filtered water. Here is the formula:
1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds + 2 tablespoon of water = 1 flax “egg.
Second, mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl. And all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Then, whisk the wet and dry ingredients together. (The texture should appear gooey and slightly runny).
Lastly, pour the batter into a parchment paper linked 8×8 Baking dish.
For my cashew vegan cream cheese frosting. All you will need are cashews, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, coconut milk and coconut oil. If you want to make this keto-friendly, substitute the maple syrup with this keto maple syrup, or your favorite keto sweetener.
Quick note: you will need to let the cake cool at least 2 hours before frosting so that the frosting doesn’t melt. You could also make the cake a day ahead of time then frost the next day to allow for complete cooling.
Finally, you have a super delicious healthy vegan chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. I can’t wait for you to try it!
What’s your favorite kind of chocolate cake? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You may also like these other chocolate recipes:
Get the recipe:Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 flax "egg", 2 tbsp ground flax seeds, 4 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour, packed
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour, packed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp beet powder, optional **
- Gingerbread Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Stir ground flax seeds with filtered water and let it sit for at least 5 minutes to gel up.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca flour, cacao powder, beet powder (if using any), coconut sugar, salt, baking soda and a pinch of sea salt. Gently stir the dry mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Spread the mixture into an 8 x8 cake pan lined with parchment paper. Bake 25 minutes.
- Cashew Cream Frosting - Find the Full Recipe in this Post.
- Wait till the cake has completely cooled down (2+ hours or overnight) before frosting. Take the cashew cream frosting out of the fridge and spread onto the cake. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and cinnamon.
- * Use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup coconut sugar if you prefer sweeter cake.
- ** Beet powder is optional, it will not change the taste or texture significantly. I used it mainly for the extra health benefits. (read more in the post)
- The nutrition facts below does NOT include the cashew cream cheese frosting.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.