Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
These pecan pie bars are a decadent holiday classic with a Shuangy twist. Sweet and crunchy pecans with a rich and gooey caramel filling on top of a buttery shortbread crust. Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free, they are the perfect holiday treat.
I don’t know about you, but pecan pie is just as much of a staple as pumpkin pie around the holidays in my family.
This vegan pecan pie bar recipe is easy to make and makes the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving this holiday season. My whole family and SKS love them. You will need to give it a try!
You won’t even believe they are paleo, vegan and grain-free!
Plus, just like my pumpkin pie bars, these delicious vegan pecan pie bars are made into squares, which is more fun anyway.
What’s Different About These Pecan Pie Bars?
Pecan pie is one of my family’s favorite desserts. Tom always asks for them around the holidays.
So I finally made this vegan version of pecan pie bars that have no refined sugar, no corn syrup, and still tastes absolutely amazing.
With a rich dairy-free caramel sauce, made with coconut milk, this pecan pie filling tastes like salted caramel. It’s gooey, it’s crunchy, it’s got it all.
I only used coconut sugar and maple syrup to sweeten up this recipe, so there are no refined sugars.
Additionally, using an almond and coconut flour crust makes this recipe paleo-friendly.
This vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free pecan pie recipe still tastes like a traditional pecan pie!
Ingredients Needed for Pecan Pie Bars
For this vegan pecan pie recipe, you need just a handful of whole-food ingredients that are easy to find in most grocery stores.
Almond flour Shortbread Crust:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil (or vegan butter)
Pecan Pie Filling:
- Maple syrup
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Arrowroot flour
How to Make Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
This recipe is made in a few easy steps.
Start with preheating the oven to 350 F.
Then, toast the pecans in the oven for 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the pecans since they burn easily.
paleo shortbread crust:
First, in a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, and a pinch of salt.
Then, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour melted coconut oil or vegan butter and maple syrup into the center.
Combine well with a spatula.
Place the dough in a greased pie dish, spread evenly using your hands, and press it down with the palms of your hands.
Bake crust for 12 minutes then let it sit to cool while you make the pecan pie filling.
vegan pecan pie filling:
First, in a small dish, whisk together arrowroot flour and 1 tbsp of water, set aside.
Secondly, in a small to medium pot, combine maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut cream, and sea salt. Bring all the ingredients to a boil then quickly turn the heat down to simmer.
Cook for about 5 minutes on low to medium heat. Whisk continuously to create a reduction and prevent burning. Then turn off the heat.
Then, mix in vanilla extract and the arrowroot mixture. Wisk until well combined
Next, add the toasted pecans into the caramel sauce. Gently stir until the pecans are evenly coated with the caramel sauce.
Pour the pecan pie filling on top of the crust.
Lastly, bake the pecan pie in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the vegan pecan pie from the oven and let cool for half an hour at room temperature. Then, chill it in the fridge for a few hours or until the filling is set before cutting into pecan pie bars. (Yes this is perfect to make the night before!)
How to Serve These Pecan Squares
If you prefer a warm pecan pie, you can warm it up quickly in the microwave for 20 seconds.
You can serve it ‘a la mode’ by adding a scoop of ice cream on top or just some whipped cream if you’d like!
There are a lot of great non-dairy ice cream and whipped cream options available in stores now if you don’t feel like making your own.
They’re also perfectly delicious as is!
Best Way to Store These Bars
Place these pecan bars in an air-tight container in the fridge and they will stay good for up to 5 days.
Can You Make These Bars Ahead of Time?
Because you need to allow time for the pie to chill anyway, this is a good recipe to make ahead of time.
Perfect for all the holiday baking!
Tips for the Best Pecan Pie Bars
Cover the pie with foil while baking so the pecans don’t burn.
Allow enough time for cooling before cutting the pie. If it’s too warm it won’t hold its shape.
Allow dough to chill for 10 minutes before pressing it into a baking dish.
What’s your favorite way to eat pecan pie bars? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
Get the recipe:Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour, 200g
- 2 tbsp coconut flour, 2 tbsp
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/3 cup maple sryup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cup pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Toast the pecans for 5 minutes in the oven. Be careful not to burn the nuts.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, and salt.
- Then add in maple syrup, and vegan butter (or coconut oil). Combine well with a spatula.
- Place dough into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Spread evenly and press down with the palm of your hands.
- Bake crust for 12 minutes then let it cool while making the pecan pie filling.
- In a small dish, whisk together arrowroot flour and 1 tbsp of water, set aside.
- In a small to medium pot, combine maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut cream, and sea salt. Bring all the ingredients to a boil then quickly turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on low to medium heat. Whisk continuously to create a reduction and prevent burning. Then turn off the heat.
- Mix in vanilla extract and the arrowroot mixture. Stir well.
- Add in the toasted pecans and stir gently until pecans are fully coated by the caramel sauce.
- Pour the pecan pie filling on top of the crust.
- Bake the pecan pie for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the pie cool for half an hour at room temperature, then chill it in the fridge for a few hours or until the filling is set before cutting. (Yes this is perfect to make the night before!)
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.