These pecan pie bars are a decadent holiday classic with a healthy twist. Sweet and crunchy pecans with a rich and gooey caramel filling on top of a buttery shortbread crust. Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free, they are the perfect healthy holiday treat.
I don’t know about you, but pecan pie is just as much of a staple as pumpkin pie around the holidays in my family.
A healthy pecan pie bar recipe that is easy to make, the perfect dessert for Friendsgiving and this holiday season.
You won’t even believe they are paleo, vegan and grain-free.
Plus, just like my pumpkin pie bars, these delicious vegan pecan pie made into squares are more fun any way.
are Pecan Pie bars Healthy?
Pecan pie is one of my favorites, however the traditional version is LOADED with sugar.
This healthy version of pecan pie bars has no corn syrup and tastes absolutely amazing.
With a rich dairy free caramel sauce, they taste just like salted caramel pecan bars.
I only used coconut sugar and maple syrup to sweeten up this recipe, so there are no refined sugars.
Additionally, the use of almond and coconut flour crust make this recipe paleo friendly and much lower in carbs as well.
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, but still tastes like a traditional pecan pie!
Dreams do come true.
Health Benefits of Pecans
Pecans may improve heart health by reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels, along with improving brain function and reducing inflammation.
They are also high in fiber, helping with bowel regularity, stabilizing blood sugars, and help to keep you feeling fuller longer which may aid in weight loss.
Pecans also contain important minerals including copper, thiamine, and zinc which support nerve and immune function.
Read More Here.
Ingredients Needed for Healthy Pecan Pie Bars
For this vegan pecan pie recipe, you just need a handful of whole-food ingredients that are easy to find.
Almond flour Shortbread Crust:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Baking soda
Pecan Pie Filling:
- Maple syrup
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Arrowroot flour
How to Make Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Toast the pecans for 5 minutes.
For the paleo shortbread crust:
First, in a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar and baking soda.
Then, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour melted coconut oil or vegan butter and flax egg in the middle.
Combine well with a spatula (or work it with your hands)
Place dough into a greased pie dish, spread evenly and press it down with them palms of your hands.
Bake crust for 12 minutes then let it sit while you make the pecan pie filling.
For the vegan pecan pie filling:
First, in a small pot, add the maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut cream and sea salt.
Then, bring all ingredients to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer.
Whisk continuously to create a reduction and prevent burning.
Once the sugar has dissolved completely, turn off the heat, mix in vanilla extract, 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot flour, and stir vigorously until the flour has fully combined into the filling.
Next, stir in pecans.
Pour pecan pie filling on top of crust.
Lastly, bake the pecan pie for 20 minutes.
Remove and let cool. Chill pie for at least 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
How to Serve Healthy Pecan Squares
If you prefer a warm pecan pie, you can warm it up quickly in the microwave for 5 minutes.
You can serve it ‘a la mode’ by adding a scoop of ice cream on top or just some whipped cream if you’d like!
There are a lot of great non-dairy ice cream and whipped cream options available in stores now if you don’t feel like making your own.
They’re also perfectly delicious as is!
How to Store Healthy Pecan Bars
Place these healthy pecan bars in an air tight container in the fridge and they will stay good for up to 5 days.
Can You Make Healthy Pecan Pie Ahead of Time?
Because you need to allow time for the pie to chill anyway, this is a good recipe to make ahead of time.
Tips for the Best Healthy Pecan Pie
Cover the pie with foil while baking so the pecans don’t burn.
Allow enough time for cooling before cutting the pie. If it’s too warm it won’t hold its shape.
Allow dough to chill for 10 minutes before rolling out.
What’s your favorite way to eat pecan pie? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You may also like these other Healthy Holiday Desserts:
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 2 tbsp water)
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/3 cup maple sryup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Toast the pecans for 5 minutes.
For the crust:
- Making flax egg: In a small dish, mix 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2 tbsp of filtered water. Let it sit for 5 minutes to become gel-like texture.
- In the meantime, combine almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour melted coconut oil (vegan butter) and flax egg in the middle. Combine well with a spatula.
- Place dough into a greased pie dish. Spread evenly and press down with the palm of your hands.
- Bake crust for 12 minutes then let it sit while you make the pecan pie filling.
For the filling:
- In a small pot, combine maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut cream, and sea salt. Bring all the ingredients to a boil then quickly turn the heat down to simmer.
- Whisk continuously to create a reduction and prevent burning. Once the sugar has dissolved completely, turn off the heat, mix in vanilla extract, 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot flour, and stir vigorously until the flour has fully combined into the filling.
- Add in pecans and stir gently until pecans are fully incorporated into the caramel sauce.
- Pour pecan pie filling on top of the crust.
- Bake the pecan pie for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the ovenand let cool. Chill pie for at least 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.