Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
This healthier version of your favorite game-day appetizer, Buffalo Chicken Dip, is rich, creamy, and packed with flavors. Gooey cheese and hot sauce in every bite, this buffalo chicken dip is keto-friendly and so easy to make.
Served with veggies, chips, or crackers, this keto buffalo chicken dip makes the perfect game day party snack.
I think buffalo chicken dip is one of the most popular appetizers to make this time of the year.
Anytime there’s a celebration or a gathering and everyone volunteers to bring something there is almost always someone who says they’ll bring the chicken wing dip.
Buffalo chicken dip is easily a crowd favorite, so why not make it even more enjoyable by making it healthier too?
Is Buffalo Chicken Dip Healthy?
This healthier version of the buffalo chicken dip recipe just needs a couple simple swaps that really help to healthify this dish.
Instead of using cream cheese I used a combination of greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
It still provides a rich and creamy texture but with less fat and a lot higher in protein!
The shredded cheese is optional and you can control how much or how little you want to add. I like using mozzarella or cheddar cheese on top.
If you want to cut down on dairy without missing out on the cheesiness you could also use a dairy-free/vegan brand of cheese as well.
All in all, with all of these swaps I would say this is more like a protein-packed keto buffalo chicken dip!
So grab your veggies and let’s get into it.
Ingredients Needed for Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
No fancy ingredients needed here.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this healthy buffalo chicken dip and it tastes just like the classic version.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breast (Cooked and shredded)
- Hot sauce (I love using Buffalo Sauce or Frank’s Hot sauce)
- Greek yogurt (Full Fat or 2%)
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Cottage cheese (drained)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Garlic powder
- Scallions & Blue cheese crumbles (garnish)
How to Make Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
This delicious dip can be made in less than half an hour with roughly 15 min of bake time and about 15 minutes of prep.
First, you’ll need to prepare the shredded chicken using any of the following methods:
Boil: bring the water to a boil and cook for about 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick the chicken is).
Bake: you could also bake the chicken in a 400 F oven for 12-15 minutes (until the internal temp reaches ~160 F).
Slow cooker: cook for 3-4 hours on high with water.
Pressure cooker: cook on high pressure with water for 10 minutes.
Note: if it’s a bit undercooked that’s okay, it will be going back in the oven once all of the ingredients are mixed together and it will finish cooking then. You just don’t want it too raw or you won’t be able to shred the chicken.
Once the chicken is done cooking move it to a plate or baking pan to cool.
Then, in a large bowl, use two forks or your hands to pull apart the chicken into shreds.
Next, add in the hot sauce, greek yogurt, blue cheese crumbles, cottage cheese, and garlic powder. Mix well then pour into a baking dish.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, if using any.
Bake in the oven at 400 F for 15-17 minutes, or until it’s slightly browned and bubbling on the sides.
Top with scallions and more blue cheese crumbles if desired.
Can I Make Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! It’s actually a good idea to prep everything ahead of time so you just need to pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
All you do is mix all of the ingredients, put them in a baking dish and cover with foil.
You can leave it in the fridge overnight and bake when it’s party time!
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Dip
Any leftover chicken dip can be stored by covering the baking dish with plastic wrap or foil.
Or you can transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip will stay good in the fridge for approx. 3 – 4 days.
How to Reheat Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
It’s worth the wait to reheat any leftover dip in the oven.
Make sure you use an oven-safe dish, and reheat at 350 F until it reaches your desired temp.
You can reheat it in the microwave if you don’t want to wait. Make sure you cover the chicken dip to prevent splashing.
Additionally, I recommend stop and stir frequently to make sure it heats evenly and doesn’t overcook.
How to Serve Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This is the fun part! This dip goes great with so many things.
I like to serve it with lots of veggies:
- cauliflower etc.
It also goes great with:
The sky is the limit when it comes to what you can dip these keto buffalo chicken with.
What Type of Chicken Should I Use for Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip?
I used boiled chicken breast for this recipe, but you can you any of the methods I’ve described in the ‘How To’ section.
You could also buy a rotisserie or canned chicken to cut out cooking time too.
I find the best results are from cooking your own, but if you do need to use the canned chicken just make sure you drain it really well so there isn’t any extra liquid that could leave your dip soupy.
What’s your favorite way to eat buffalo chicken dip? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
More Superbowl Party Appetizer Ideas:
Get the recipe:Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1.5 lb Chicken Breast, Cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese, drained
- Salt and Pepper to taste *
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Scallion and blue cheese to garnish
- Cheddar cheese to top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare the shredded chicken using any of the following methods: **
- Boil: bring the water to a boil and cook for about 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick the chicken is).
- Bake: you could also bake the chicken in a 400 F oven for 12-15 minutes (until the internal temp reaches ~160 F).
- Slow cooker: cook for 3-4 hours on high with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water.
- Pressure cooker: cook on high pressure with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water for 10 minutes.
- 3. When the chicken is done cooking move it to a plate or baking pan to cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, use two forks or your hands to pull apart the chicken into shreds.
- 5. Then, add in the hot sauce, greek yogurt, blue cheese crumbles, cottage cheese, and garlic powder. Mix well then pour into a 10×7 or 9×9 baking dish.
- 6. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, if using.
- 7. Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes, or until it’s slightly browned and bubbling on the sides
- 8. Top with scallions and more blue cheese crumbles if desired.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.