This Easy Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken recipe is the perfect family-friendly healthy dinner recipe. With only a handful of pantry staple ingredients, this recipe is also gluten-free, dairy-free, keto-friendly and can be made vegan as well.
I absolutely love this Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken recipe because it made me explore a style that I have always wanted to dive more into.
Peanut Butter Chicken is a popular dish all across Africa. With a small spin on these traditional flavors, I was able to combine the perfect mix of an African and Chinese Inspired recipe into one.
A few of my favorite instant pot chicken recipes you may enjoy:
- Crockpot Thai Coconut Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken (Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken (Whole30)
This One Pot Chicken recipe only requires a handful of accessible ingredients that are mostly non-perishable and you probably already have them sitting in your pantry right now!
Peanut Butter and Chicken is not usually something I’d pair together, but once you’ve tried this you’ll never go back.
The Peanut Butter makes this dish SO creamy and the combination of the Nutty and Tangy flavor will make this your family’s new favorite healthy dinner recipe.
The Ingredients for Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and/or chickpeas (Canned)
- Peanut Butter
- Onion and garlic
- Coconut aminos
- Full Fat Coconut milk (Canned)
- Diced tomatoes (Canned)
- Salt and Pepper
Notes on choosing ingredients:
You can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe. If you choose to use chicken breasts, I highly recommend marinating it in arrowroot flour.
When choosing peanut butter, pick a jar that only has one ingredient – Peanuts. It should be unsweetened and salt-free, exactly how a nut butter should be.
Vegan And Keto Option
1. Want to make this dish Vegan? It’s simple!
Omit the chicken and use chickpeas only. The chickpeas will soak in all of the amazing flavors while still keeping it Vegan-Friendly!
Cook it in the instant pot for 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes (listed in the recipe) for softer chickpeas.
2. For a Keto Option, omit the chickpeas.
I love Peanut Butter because it has all of the healthy fats for a balanced diet while keeping the carb count low.
3. This Peanut Butter Chicken can be made Allergen friendly too.
Use cashew butter instead of Peanut Butter, it will be just as creamy and satisfying!
How to Make One Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
Cut the chicken into cubes. In a big Ziploc bag or medium bowl, marinate the chicken with coconut amino, salt and arrowroot flour (if using any). Make sure the chicken is completely coated.
Using “saute” mode, heat up 1 – 2 tbsp oil in an instant pot. Add onion and garlic, saute until fragrant.
Add Chicken cubes (add more oil if needed). Flip a couple times until the chicken is slightly browned on the outside. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Use all of the top cream part of the coconut milk (roughly 1/2 cup) along with 1/2 cup of the liquid on the bottom.
Cover set the valve to “sealing” and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Once done, release. Serve with rice, your favorite vegetables and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
How to SERVE INSTANT POT PEANUT BUTTER CHICKEN?
The acidity of the tomatoes balances the fat from the peanut butter and coconut milk and there’s only one word to describe it.
In order to make a complete, satisfying and healthy dinner for the whole family, you can pair it with jasmine rice, and vegetables.
I love incorporating rice into this dish because of the healthy carbs it brings to the table all while soaking up some of the amazing Peanut Butter sauce.
Looking for a lower carb option or want to add some vegetables into the mix? Try some cauliflower rice!
I can’t wait for you guys to try this! I know you’re going to love it just as much as I do!
WHAT MAKES THIS PEANUT BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE HEALTHY
1. Coconut aminos
Coconut Aminos is an amazing source of amino acids and has a low glycemic index.
In simpler words, it’s a great alternative to soy sauce and keeps the sodium content low in the recipe! Coconut aminos bring all the flavor while staying health conscious.
2. Coconut milk
Coconut Milk also has some amazing benefits as well! It is a great alternative to regular milk which makes this recipe dairy-free and rich in healthy fats.
It also packs in some extra creaminess to this dish.
3. Peanut Butter
I love all types of nut butter. They are an amazing source of protein and healthy fat. The use of peanut butter in this chicken recipe not only gives it the perfect flavor profile, but also provides the most creamy texture.
Additionally, peanut butter is high in valuable nutrition like potassium and the protein keeps your belly full!
What if I Don’t Have an Instant Pot
No worries! I have Crockpot and Stovetop methods for you! Both are super easy and will make the chicken just as tender and SO yummy!
Use the same preparation method. Then cook on High for 2 – 3 hours in a crockpot or until chicken is tender and cooked through
Use the same preparation method. Bring to boil in a big pot on stovetop. Then simmer for 30 – 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
How to Store Peanut Butter Chicken?
Once the leftover peanut butter chicken has cooled completely, you can store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days.
And yes you can freeze it!
In order to reheat, let the frozen peanut butter chicken thaw under warm water for a few minutes. Then scoop it all into a pot to reheat over the stovetop.
Additionally, you can reheat in the microwave. Make sure you cover the container or bowl with a paper towel to avoid any spilling.
The refrigerated peanut butter chicken will be very thick (pictured). But once it’s heated, it will get creamy again. You can always get a few tablespoons of stock if the texture is too thick.
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You may also like these Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast or thighs
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch optional *
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk cream and liquid divided – 13.5 oz
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 – 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- Additional Salt to taste *
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- Cut the chicken into cubes. In a big Ziploc bag or medium bowl, marinate the chicken with coconut amino, salt * and arrowroot flour (if using any) for at least 20 minutes. Make sure the chicken is completely coated.
- Using "saute" mode, heat up 1 – 2 tbsp oil in an instant pot. Add onion and garlic, saute until fragrant.
- Add Chicken cubes (add more oil if needed). Flip a couple of times until the chicken is slightly browned on the outside. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Use all of the top cream part of the coconut milk (roughly 1/2 cup) along with 1/2 cup of the liquid on the bottom.
- Make sure the chicken is evenly coated.
- Cover set the valve to “sealing” and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once done, release. Serve with rice, your favorite vegetables and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- *Coconut amino itself is salty, so take that into consideration when you salt the chicken.
- ** If you don’t have arrowroot flour, you can omit it. I love using arrowroot flour to help lock the juice in and make the chicken extra moist.
- For Crockpot and Stovetop Instruction, check out the "What if I don’t have an Instant Pot" section in this post.
- You can use 1 to 1 1/2 can of chickpea instead of chicken to make this recipe vegan-friendly.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.