Healthy Zucchini Chocolate bread
This Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread is so moist, soft, and fluffy! Packed with healthy fats, protein and veggies, This Chocolate Zucchini Loaf is Paleo, gluten-free, and grain-free, and has no refined sugar.
I love zucchini in every form! Baked, roasted, grilled, and raw.
But could it get any better than in a decadent chocolaty loaf? I don’t think so!
This is such an easy and delicious way to use zucchini and especially during the summer when zucchini is in season and easy to find everywhere.
Can’t beat this gluten free chocolate zucchini bread for a quick breakfast or healthy dessert for the family to enjoy!
If you love zucchini as much as I do, you should check out my amazing Air fryer zucchini fries and my Healthy Zucchini Banana Muffins recipe.
Why I love this Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
My take on this deliciously moist zucchini bread is made with both vegetables and fruit. Obviously, the veggie is zucchini, and you might have guessed the fruit already as well – apple sauce.
All you need are a few common wholesome ingredients, a box grater, a mixing bowl, and a loaf pan.
Because it’s so easy to make, it is perfect when you want to include your kids in the kitchen. I can’t wait until Oliver is old enough to help me in the kitchen.
This gluten-free Zucchini bread is also the perfect way to hide and trick your kids (and picky husband) into eating more veggies. I always try to sneak some greens into my recipe, and honestly, it helps this mama to eat her vegetables as well.
This deliciously moist and fluffy dessert is made with almond four with makes is completely grain-free, gluten-free, and Paleo-friendly.
Lastly, it is FREEZER friendly! So you can meal prep this chocolate zucchini loaf into individual servings that’s ready to be served fro a busy morning.
How to prepare the zucchini
I find the easiest way to grate the zucchini is on a regular box grated on the coarse side. If you use the finer side the risk is that it will only be mush and too much liquid.
For the same reasons I never peel my zucchini. The peel will only provide a little bit of texture and will blend perfectly with the rest of the chocolate zucchini bread.
You have to squeeze out as much liquid as possible out of the grated zucchini, otherwise the Paleo zucchini bread will be mushy.
I like using a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth to ring out as much moisture as possible.
If you would like, you can also use a clean kitchen towel. And don’t be afraid to use some serious muscle power. All the moisture must go!
Ingredients in this Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
To make this chocolatey Paleo zucchini loaf you will need nine simple and healthy ingredients. Most likely you even have them all at home! You need:
Always use room temperate eggs, it will allow the eggs to mix better with the rest of the ingredients.
If you want to make a vegan zucchini bread, you could try using chia or flax eggs.
To make this gluten-free zucchini bread free from refined sugar I choose to use maple syrup. Maple syrup is also Paleo, which is awesome since I love the flavor as well.
Apple Sauce (or Mashed bananas)
I love baking with apple sauce or ripe bananas!
It is such an amazing, nutritious and healthy way to sweet baked goods. It will also keep the bread moist and it won’t dry out as quickly.
Apple sauce also acts as a binder, which means that sometimes you can use it instead of eggs when you want to bake a vegan cake.
I have also tried using bananas instead of apple sauce in this recipe with amazing results!
Almond flour is my favorite flour to bake with! The flavor is mild and nutty, it soaks up moisture well and it’s gluten-free, Paleo and Keto-friendly.
Almond flour is packed with protein and healthy fats as well, perfect when wanting to bake healthy and delicious treats.
Use high-quality cacao powder for maximum health benefits and premium flavor. If you don’t have cacao powder or can’t find it in your grocery store, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder as well.
I’m using baking soda as my rising agent for this Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread.
Always remember salt when baking, and especially with chocolate! It really helps with elevating the flavors.
The star of this healthy chocolate dream is shredded zucchini. There are many health benefits to zucchini such as it’s high in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin A. You can read more about why zucchini is good for you here.
To elevate this rich healthy chocolate zucchini bread I’m using chocolate chips, both folded into the batter and sprinkled on top.
How to make Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
First, shred the zucchini and drain it using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth. Set aside.
Next, If you are using ripe bananas for this chocolate zucchini bread recipe, start with mashing ripe bananas with a fork or a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl. Or just simply add apple sauce.
Then, add eggs and maple syrup to the bowl. Mix well with a blender or hand mixer.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift if needed to make sure there are no lumps left.
Then, transfer the dry ingredients into the banana and egg mixture. Gently combine with a spatula. Be sure not to over mix.
Fold in drained and grated zucchini and ¾ of the chocolate chips. Be careful not to over mix the healthy chocolate zucchini bread batter.
Pour the batter into a 8×4 parchment paper lined loaf pan.
Lastly, sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top of the chocolate zucchini batter.
Bake in a 350 degrees oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick (inserted in the middle) comes out clean.
Tips for the best Paleo Zucchini Bread
- Check the oven temperature using an oven thermometer. You would be surprised if you knew how often the actual temperature is significantly off from what you set it to.
- Use a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to squeeze out all the moisture from the zucchini. If there is too much liquid left in the zucchini the healthy chocolate zucchini bread will soggy.
- Sift the dry ingredients to make sure they will blend evenly and to avoid lumps. It’s extra important with cacao powder that tends to clump together.
- I have said it before, always use room tempered eggs! I started doing this a while ago and I really think it makes a difference. The eggs will mix so much better with the rest of the ingredients and will bake more evenly and quicker in the oven.
How to Serve my gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread
You can definitely serve this healthy chocolate zucchini bread straight out of the pan, that’s how good it is! But there are a few ways to switch it up.
- Serve with nut butter for a hearty breakfast
- Top it off with thick and creamy yogurt
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert
- With a big glass of homemade nut milk
- Brew a good cup of coffee or a pot of chai tea for an afternoon pick me up
How to store this Paleo chocolate zucchini bread
You can store this loaf of zucchini bread on the countertop, covered, for 2 days. You can also refrigerate in an air-tight container for 5 days.
And yes, this healthy chocolate zucchini bread is definitely freezer-friendly! Wrap individual pieces for easier defrosting and serving. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Now to the most fun and exiting part. Scroll down to the recipe and start baking!
What’s your favorite kind of sweet loaf bread? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You might also like these healthy desserts
1. Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
2. Salted Caramel Chocolate Brownies
3. Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Get the recipe:Healthy Zucchini Chocolate Bread
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, or ripe mashed bananas
- 2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup shredded and drained zucchini, 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Wash and dry the zucchinis. Shred them and squeeze out the water using nut milk or cheesecloth.
- In a bowl, combine eggs and maple syrup, and apple sauce with a fork or hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift if needed to make sure there are no lumps left.
- Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients with a spatula. Make sure not to over mix.
Fold in the shredded zucchini and 3/4 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the chocolate zucchini bread batter into an 8×4 parchment paper-lined loaf pan.
- Add the rest of the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 44-47 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, move it onto a cooling rack.
- Slice it up and ENJOY!
- Make sure to pack the almond flour and cocoa powder in the measuring cup (instead of being loosely measured)
- If using ripe bananas instead of apple sauce, mash it with a fork before combining it with the rest of the wet ingredients.
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.
I used bananas and my bread turned out mushy. What did I do wrong?
Made this today – I chose to add a mashed banana instead of applesauce. The texture and flavor are NOT good. I won’t be making this again.
Twice you called for baking soda and twice you baked for baking powder. Which one??
Thank you for catching this! We only use baking soda in this recipe, I have fixed in the blog post where it had said Baking Powder.
Would definitely recommend
This recipe is very interesting!! I’m excited to try it out! It looks delicious.
Hope you like it! Would love any feedback 🙂