This Healthy Bolognese sauce is loaded with layers of flavor, protein, and vegetables. It is whole30, paleo, keto, dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Perfect to meal prep for healthy and quick weekday dinner.
Hearty and comforting, this whole30 Bolognese sauce with spaghetti squash is sure to win over any meat sauce lover.
When I was a kid, spaghetti with meat sauce was always a quick go-to on nights where there wasn’t a lot of time to cook dinner. It’s the ultimate comfort food for many. With just a handful of accessible and wholesome ingredients, this bolognese recipe will provide you a healthier option without giving up the flavor.
Why I Love This Bolognese Sauce
Easy and Flavorful Recipe
As you may already know, I love making ground meat recipes. You can pack SO many flavors into them, and there are so many ways you make them interesting. Here are a few of my favorite meatball recipes using a variety of ground meat:
- Paleo Italian Meatballs (Whole 30)
- Turkey Meatballs (Whole 30 Recipe)
- Whole 30 Sticky Asian Meatballs
So with this bolognese sauce, it is even easier to make. Because there is no rolling and packing the ground meat mixture.
Healthy and Satisfying Ingredients
I absolutely love it when I can make a comfort food recipe with clean, healthy ingredients. The bison is a great protein choice here because it is very lean, but you don’t have to compromise on flavor for all you beef lovers out there. You could easily use ground turkey, chicken, or lean beef if you prefer. You could even use tofu for a vegan option as well. I can’t forget to point out that this sauce only has 7 ingredients and it’s super easy to make too.
This is not only great at a pasta sauce option, but you can use it in other dishes like casseroles, lasagna ravioli, calzones and more. The sky is the limit when it comes to ways to enjoy this healthy bolognese sauce.
Additionally, this bolognese sauce recipe is easy to double or triple so you can make extra ahead of time and freeze it for later use.
How to Make Healthy Bolognese Sauce
Great bolognese is going to need a good quality meat as the base since it’s the star of this recipe. Here is a list of the ingredients I used. They are simple and accessible. But when you combine them all, the magic happens.
- Ground bison (you can also use ground beef or ground turkey)
- Diced tomato
- Small shallot
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- Fresh basil
- 1 jar of marinara sauce (I love Rao’s Whole30 Friendly Marinara Sauce)
In one pan, saute the tomato, shallot, celery, and carrot. Then, add the bison in the same pan to cook until there is no pink left.
Lastly, add the Mariana sauce and stir it well until fully combined.
That’s it, you’re bolognese is ready!
Last but not least, simply throw the hot and steamy bolognese sauce over your pasta of choice and top with fresh basil. Total cook time takes about 15-20 minutes so it’s a great option for days where you don’t have a lot of time to cook but still will be able to get a healthy and satisfying dinner on the table.
How to Serve This Whole30 Bolognese Sauce
If you’re not following the Whole30 diet, you could pair this bolognese with any pasta you like. If you ARE trying to remain whole30 compliant, it goes great with spaghetti squash or any kind of veggie noodles.
Meanwhile, you can purchase pre-spiralized veggie noodles to save some time which will be a bit more expensive, or you can just use a spiralizer to make your own which is actually super easy to do and it guarantees a fresher “noodle.” Some of the best veggies to use as noodles are carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and celeriac.
In fact, I love this healthy bolognese sauce so much that I eat it regularly, not just for whole30 purposes. My favorite way to eat it is with spaghetti squash. If you’ve never made spaghetti squash before, you can check out my post on how to make it here. It’s super easy, I promise.
What’s your favorite way to use bolognese sauce? Leave a comment below!
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN USE “TRIED IT” ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING #SHUANGYSEATS
You may also like these Whole30 Recipes:
- 1 lb ground beef *
- 2 -3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small shallots (chopped)
- 1 24 oz marinara sauce (my favorite paleo one linked)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional, if not following whole30)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat 2 tbsp olive oil, after 1 minute or so, add minced garlic, chopped shallots, celery, and carrots in.
- Continue to stir to prevent any burning, until fragrant, and the carrots and celery are softened.
- Add ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir and saute until the meat is no longer pink (about 7 - 8 minutes)
- Add marinara sauce and basil, lower the heat and stir until the meat and vegetables are completely coated with the sauce. TASTE and season with extra salt and pepper accordingly.
- Let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the sauce is well combined and thick.
- Serve over prepared spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles or your favorite traditional pasta.
1.* My favorite meat to use for this recipe is ground bison. You can also use ground turkey.
2. Check out How to Make Easy Baked Spaghetti Squash yourself In this Post.
Note: Nutrition facts below do not include spaghetti squash used in photos. They may also vary depending on the type of meat and marinara sauce used.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This does not result in any extra cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 24g
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe, which may vary.