17 Sep Carrot Cake Paleo Donuts
Since everyone is getting ready for WHOLE30 in the new year, I made these carrot cake paleo donuts. Oh boy they are delicious! And they are also gluten free, sugar free and very easy to make!
Ingredients for these healthy donuts
First of all, instead of the frying process of the traditional donuts, these healthy versions are oven-baked. (Well, I don’t have a fryer, so not that I could have fry them anyway.)
Secondly, instead of the refined sugar, I used roasted local sweet potato. I love sweetening my baked goods with sweet potatoes (check out my sweet potato pecan pie). Not only are they packed with fiber and good carbs, these little power houses are also rich in antioxidant, vitamin A and C, and help regulate blood sugar (read more here).
I also substituted enriched white flour with almond and coconut flour, which are gluten free and paleo friendly! Last but not least, icing on the (carrot) cake! I simply melted some coconut butter to top these fluffy paleo donuts. If you prefer something a little sweeter, you can mix a little maple syrup or honey in the melted coconut butter.
In order to create that fragrant carrot cake flavor, I shredded some fresh carrots, and also a tiny bit of fresh ginger to give it a little spicy kick.
Although it’s not quite Easter yet, these carrot cake paleo donuts are still the perfect recipe for a quick healthy breakfast, snack or dessert, especially if you are on the whole30 journey, this paleo recipe will definitely hit the spot.
Now scroll down for the full recipe and get baking! If you need a donut pan, I got chu HERE . Don’t forget to pin this carrot cake paleo donuts recipe and share with family and friends!
- 1/2 large cooked sweet potato
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs (vegan sub for flax eggs (2 tbsp of ground flax seeds mixed with 4 tbsp of filtered water))
- 1/2 cup nut milk (Adjust the amount based on batter consistency)
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 pinch fresh ginger (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Mix wet ingredients
- Add dry ingredients, mix well
- Fold in additional ingredients
- Pour into a donut pan or loaf pan (The one I use is under "Shop My favorite"
- Bake 350 F for 25 min
- Melt 1/2 cup coconut butter and pour on top the cooled donuts. Sprinkle some more shredded carrots and pecans
- Store in the fridge or freezer. ENJOY